Re: Malkioni terminology

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 12:08:16 -0600

Peter M.
> I don't think the Carmanians would have described themselves as
>Hrestoli. Malkioni would be the word they would use IMO.

Joerg
>Actually, their term of choce would have been "us", and that's
>different from "them". IMO Hrestoli is interchangable for 95% of
the >mostly "monotheist" Malkioni, and serves as a distinguisher vs. both >the Brithini and the full Henotheism of Arkat's heirs.

In my opinion, most folks use the word "Malkioni" to refer to all those who accept Hrestol and Malkion, but NOT with reference to Brithini or henotheists. A henotheist only thinks of himself as a "Malkioni" in the way that anyone thinks of himself as a "Judaeo-Christian".

        If you pointed out to a Malkioni that the Brithini are Malkioni too, he'd admit it, but again, only as a technicality. In the same way that we use the word "beasts" often to refer only to mammals, Of course, non-Malkioni would invariably include Brithini in the term "Malkioni". Ignorant ones would probably include henotheists, too.

        The word Hrestoli was used in the very early church to distinguish them from the Brithini, and was probably a Brithini invention, much as the words "Christian" and "Mormon" were invented by enemies. Since the first part of the First Age, I don't think anyone has thought of themselves primarily as Hrestoli until the advent of the New Hrestoli Idealists, who now do so. Of course, the other sects somewhat resent this term being used for the Idealists, because _they_ think that _they_ have the true Hrestoli way. But the term still gets used.

        Real-World parallel. The LDS (Mormon) church was founded by Joseph Smith. When he was murdered, Brigham Young become the new leader and led most of the faithful to Utah. Some stayed behind and founded the Reorganized (RLDS) church. The RLDS eventually began terming themselves "Josephites" and tagging the Utah LDS church as "Brighamites", the implication being that they were following the true teachings of the prophet Joseph while the LDS followed Brigham Young's perverse doctrines. Naturally, LDS resented this use of the term, but it stuck and the RLDS is often called Josephites even today. In the same way, the Hrestoli call themselves "Hrestoli", but every other faith that accepts Hrestoli believes they follow the true Hrestoli doctrine more closely than Loskalm.

Joerg
>In some obscure sources Gerlant and Talor are even named sons of >Arkat.

        Yes, mainly by the Stygians and Pelorians, I imagine. Here I agree with Peter's doctrine that Talor is NOT Arkat's lieutenant, but a fully independent operator. However, I agree with Joerg that the Carmanians may nowadays think of Talor as Arkat's helper.

        As I see it, they went into Peloria knowing of Talor. The Pelorians of course saw Arkat as the killer of Gbaji and hated and feared him. The Carmanians naturally associated Arkat and Gbaji together, and gradually came to think of Talor as the subordinate. The fact that the Pelorians hated Arkat so much was a strength to the Carmanians.

Sandy P.