Re: Winterwood and Swedish forests

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 12:37:42 -0600

>Apart from the mountain birch forest just below the timberline,
>swedish (nordic) forest in a natural state is not especially open.
>The forest we see today is though, but that is mainly because of
>hundreds of years of human use

        I don't know about Swedish woods, but many forests in the USA started out as fairly open and became more brushy and undergrowth-filled with the advent of man. Humans chop down certain trees, and small growths spring up in the gaps.

        The Wilderness in Virginia (site of several Civil War battles) was quite open in 1864, but nowadays is extremely dense.

Sandy P.