Re: Kralori mysticism

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 13:01:02 -0600

Tim Torres
>Your practical example of Kralori mysticism at work in the arts and
>crafts makes many things clear to me. For one, it explains why
>they consider their society superior to others. It also explains
>their inventiveness (certainly both are appropriate to the ancient
>China analogy). I can't help thinking like a powergamer and
>wondering what kind of weapons their mystic master swordsmiths
would >create.

        Very scary ones. The very best Kralori swords have personalities, habits, traditions, and even curses. Weaker (but still good) ones may always shed sparks when they hit another object. Or when drawn, a breeze may suddenly blow through the room. Or it may attract lightning. Or when carried openly, sunflowers and similar plants may turn towards it and butterflies flutter around the user.

        I've emphasized non-combat relevant stuff here because the Kralori tend to not do something crude like, "add +1 to damage". A sword which is so magical that a breeze blows when it is drawn is going to be an excellent sword, too, you see. Probably doing tons of damage and almost impossible to break and ... you get the picture.

        It's just that the Kralori effects are more rounded, more organic than western magic tends to be. In other words (to make a crude analogy), anyone who'd claim that western magics aren't basically the same as Kralori magic would probably say that fructose and water aren't "real" orange juice.

Sandy P.