spirit plane

From: Harald Smith (617) 724-9843 <"Harald>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 08:50:00 -0500 (EST)

  Nils writes of his own spirit/dream plane adventure:
> Now, the East Islanders don't speak of the spirit plane, but call it
  the dream world.

  Part of the spirit plane in Imther is Nealda's Dreaming Palace (Nealda   being the Earthmother as well). I find that dreaming is one of the   easiest ways for people to touch that world (and makes for good   background for a scenario as well).

> I improvised the entire quest. I had no idea from the start that the
  king of the sea would show up.

  As was most of mine. I had expected that the characters would hunt down   the snake spirit (whose skin had been found on the hill) as the means to   defeat the frog spirit possessing Grucius. However, the PC's proved all   too ready to listen to the stories of Red Fox.

> When I needed to resolve events I used my own diceless heroquest
  rules.

  One of the things I like about spirit plane adventures is that normal   combat is often useless in defeating foes. It forces the characters to   come up with more constructive/interesting solutions.

  Naturally! (One of the problems with doing some things off the cuff is   that you often go with the first name that comes to mind--Shorty in this   case.) Of course, the sorceress Taniya happens to only be SIZ 5, so   which "Shorty" ends up being 'gotten' is still open. And of course the   PC's blithely let the Hunter just walk off down the hill as well--an   event which is bound to come back to haunt them.

  Harald

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #279