Mostali Threads

From: Nick Fortune <nxf_at_uniplex.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:08:00 GMT

Sandy:
> They wear, of course, _fibreglass_ garments :P

I start talking about "thread" and the we end up taking about "threads" and in "Hey, man, NICE threads" (or whatever). There's something very "Guys & Dolls" about that to my way of thinking, bringing to mind the idea of all these zoot-suited Mostali swaggering about the place. The setting would be suitably industrial, I suppose...

Of course, glass fibre by itself isn't much in the tensile strength stakes, so they'd need to use some sort of resin as a binding agent. But that's OK 'cause it'd help get that all-important rigid look to those wide shoulders, and the snap brimmed hats would _really_ snap. Bound to be a few stray wisps of the raw fibre escaping, but as Sandy says - what's a little discomfort to a Mostali?

The resin doesn't help much for connecting sections of the stuff together, since doping an individual fibre would simply make it more brittle than it was to begin with. They could use epoxy to bond the seams of course, but I suspect they just get individual garments cast in their size. Probably cast aound them. It sounds like they'd crackle when they walk, but expect the little so-and-sos can do wonderful things with resin to get the extra element of flexibility. It would help to explain that curious gait everyone seemed to possess last time I saw the film too.

Of course, thanks to Oliver Dickinson, we all now that the Gloranthan equivalent of the G&D setting is New Pavis, so I don't suppose this practice is too widely spread.

Getting back to thread in the singular, are the Mostali up to synthesising simple polymers? I mean nylon would be the obvious answer. Unfortunately, in my grubbly little brain at least, it's a short jump from "nylon" to "nylons" thence stockings and suspender belts (garter belts if you insist) and that brings us back round to the mortar & pestle debate I was so glad to see the end of last time. I mean I suppose they have to wear some form of underwear under those zoot-suits...

So. That's what those Flintnail cultists get up to when there's no one there to see, is it? No wonder they don't let humans into Dwarfside.

Nick Fortune.

Anyone else think this is getting needlessly silly, or isn't that a problem? :-)