Some Vormain comments.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 20:39:00 GMT

Peter M ducks incoming accreditation from Sandy:
> > The going standard for using "Vormain" as an adjective is
> >"Vorumai" invented (as I recall) by Peter Metcalfe.

> Actually Alex Ferguson takes the honours there.

Yet more credit-forwarding: the terms actually "arose from discussions" with Jim Catel, so joint blame is indicated. I should note that although I still think a vowel-consonant language for Vormain is a Fine Idea, the Oceans material lunges off in some quite different lingustic direction, so it shows so signs of becoming even remotely Official. (On the other hand, if some of us get our retaliation in first...)

My usage, for what it's worth, has been:

        Vorumain (noun) -- the place
        Vorumai (adjective) -- having to do with Vormain
        Vorumainin (noun) -- the people of Vormain

Vormain and mysticism:
I take a different view from Sandy on the relationship between Kralori mysticism and Vorumai "colour" magic; I think that while there may be some (very) distant pre-Dawn pan-Vithelan relationship between the above, the real connection is a much more palpable historical one. First Age contact with the mainland leads to Vorumain stealing many of its ideas, but shamelessly adapting them to local uses. So "colour magic" is, to put it at its simplest, what you get by running Mysticism and Dawn Age Vorumai religion (a sort of somewhat animist affair, concerned with the Essences of things) together at high speed. To complicate matters, both constituent parties still exist in their more-or-less original forms in modern Vorumain, so there are "colour sorcerers", priests of the traditional religion, and "non-coloured" mystics all dotting about the place simultaneously.

Alex.