Open forests & more

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 08:12:16 +0100

Swedish forests has potential to become a new long and meaningess thread, so I'll add my last (I hope) comment.

Erik:
>back in ye good old days we
>were very cattle-dependent, and so the cattle was herded in the forests.
>They tended to eat the underbrush, not the big firs and pines.

Even the few forests left which are untouched by human interference 'urskog' have moderate amounts of underbrush (spruce are too dense and dark to allow much growth) but fallen trees and oter impediments make the forest dense in the meaning difficult to pass through.

Erik again:
>The nearest-dwelling humans only know of a
>large area were it is suicidal to wander too long, since you can be
>caught by the hypnotic circular patterns of the lichens, swallowed by
>the Moss Monsters of the bogs and added to their armies of undead
>Moss Mummies, haunted by the Mosquito Sprites who suck your sanity as
>mosquitoes suck blood and (the silliest danger, but the one against
>one have the least defense) getting knocked down by the lemmings that
>regularily rain down from the clouds

Sounds horrible. What were you drinking/smoking/inhaling when you wrote this. Bad birch sap? :-)

Calendars:

Alex:
>Anyone have any clever ideas about the cycle of the "Blue" moon, and
>any calendar-relics which might have been based on that?

There is of course the obvious possibility: the Kralorelan calendar with its six months.

In the East Isles a similar calendar is used, but there are seven months.

>Which is the first Season of the Kralori year? Is it a "solar" year,
>or an "agricultural" one?

I always thought that the start of the year in the Kralorela is the same as in the Theyalan calendar. I know for sure that the East Isles calendar starts on the same day.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_einku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net