Anthropogenic Fire

From: Grant M. Goodman <ggoodman_at_fdic.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 9:47:30 GMT (Original EST)

Peter Michaels wrote:

>I don't know what the original/natural state of the Virginia forests were,
>but I have no doubt that the Indians shaped the forests to their advantage
>long before the white man arrived.

>As William Cronon notes in his book _Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists,
>and the Ecology of New England_ :

>What most impressed English visitors was the Indians' burning of extensive
>sections of the surrounding forest once or twice a year.

I've just started reading a book by Stephen J. Pyne called "World Fire: The Culture of Fire on Earth." So far, there have been chapters on the role of fire in the Australian, South African and Brazilian ecosystems. Pyne makes a strong case for the central role of fire, and in particular, fire set intentionally by humans, in the maintenance of the ecosystem. He even talks of a moral duty to burn the land (take that, Smoky the Bear!)

I don't see the Aldryami maintaining the forests with fire -- I think they have more magic- and labor-intensive methods of grooming their homes and preventing the build-up of excessive amounts of fuel. But I think we see seasonal burnings of grasslands in the Grazelands and perhaps Prax.

Grant Goodman           Too long have I hunted mammoth alone.
ggoodman_at_fdic.gov