More (or less) years.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 95 16:50:42 GMT

Peter Metcalfe:
> Sandy has stated that the current Blue Moon cycle is calculatable.

This may well be so (calculable by _whom_ is the thought that springs to mind), but isn't of direct significance, unless the "original" cycle is similar, or related in some way to the current bout of Blue Streaking.

> As for calender-relics based on
> the Blue Moon, Elder Secrets says the Blue Moon was more prominent in
> the Heavens during the Gods Age, not the most prominent.

Nevertheless, the moon is of more interest (at least to me) in regards speculative calendars.

> There is also mention that [the Dara Happans] adopted the Theyalan
> Sacred Time when Nysalor was alive.

Is this in GRAY, or tFS?

> I suspect the Dara Happan Calender is based on Sideral Time (ie the
> rotation of the heavens).

Now, there's another can of worms. I wrote a gedankenarticle on Gloranthan astronomy some time ago, which dealt with this topic, among othes, among others, but was told by The Men Who Know (Greg and Nick) that it was substantially inaccurate, as may be the material in Elder Secrets. Oh well. Nick, have there been any more developments wrt your ephemeris project, or Glostronomy in general?

> Since the Sun does not keep pace with this
> sideral year, the Starseers intercalcate days (ie 1st Day of the
> Disruptor) to make the Sun rise on in a constellation on a specific
> calender date.

If Elder Secrets is even remotely accurate (not a neglible if, I'll grant), a "sideral year" is not of different length to the Solar one. What's different is the sideral _day_ (and so you can get a different number of days if you count in those (and hack off all non-astronomers immensely. "It's a little bit pitch black to be noon, isn't it?")).

Nils:
> >Anyone have any clever ideas about the cycle of the "Blue" moon, and
> >any calendar-relics which might have been based on that?

> There is of course the obvious possibility: the Kralorelan calendar
> with its six months.

A seven week "month" seems a bit stiff. Particularly if it's also the length of the menstrual cycle. (The "Free PMT joke" sign is now lit.)

> I always thought that the start of the year in the Kralorela is the same
> as in the Theyalan calendar. I know for sure that the East Isles calendar
> starts on the same day.

Probably true, but Boring. Sandy, are you going to leap to my aid here, being a believer in Solar Cultures(TM) having a New Year at the solstice?

Alex.