Third-eye-blue and the Blue Moon

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:49:37 +1300

Daniel Fahey:

>Greg told me that the Third-Eye-Blue people are a wandering cult of
>metal-workers. I think he said that they are probably shamanistic. There
>can`t be a kingdom of them.

Why not? The Mayans had shamanistic traditions and yet they had a urban civilization. The debate about the Third Eye Blue Kingdom is that they claim (in Different Worlds #24) to have had one that ruled over Fronela before the Dwarves cast them down thus becoming wnadering metalworkers.

Alex Ferguson:

Me>> Sandy has stated that the current Blue Moon cycle is calculatable.

>This may well be so (calculable by _whom_ is the thought that springs
>to mind), but isn't of direct significance, unless the "original" cycle
>is similar, or related in some way to the current bout of Blue Streaking.

My guess is that the Lunars are capable of doing so. After all, the Blue Streak is visible from their place. I presume the God learners may have uncovered a formula to predict the tidal times. The Blues and the Blue Moon Uz probably rely (nowadays) on a sending from Annilla to know when the next tide is going to be.

The point about original cycle is well taken. I can only presume that the Blue Moon affected the tides before and made them travel from East to West as it went on the Sunpath. However this cycle didn't take place until after the First Sunset. Before that the Blue Moon may have simply shone on the Artmali Empire.

>> There is also mention that [the Dara Happans] adopted the Theyalan
>> Sacred Time when Nysalor was alive.

>Is this in GRAY, or tFS?

From the Fortunate Succession's articles about the Dara Happan religion.

>> Since the Sun does not keep pace with this
>> sideral year, the Starseers intercalcate days (ie 1st Day of the
>> Disruptor) to make the Sun rise on in a constellation on a specific
>> calender date.

>If Elder Secrets is even remotely accurate (not a neglible if, I'll
>grant), a "sideral year" is not of different length to the Solar one.
>What's different is the sideral _day_ (and so you can get a different
>number of days if you count in those (and hack off all non-astronomers
>immensely. "It's a little bit pitch black to be noon, isn't it?")).

What I meant that the Sun's path and progress in the heavens was erratic. Normally the sun's rising and setting points are assumed to travel 1/294th around the circumference in a day. Sometimes the sun may be travelling a wee bit faster and the journey from constellation A to constellation B may be say 29 days against the expected 30. In this case a day is dropped so that the sun rises in his expected position in the calender. In other cases the sun may be a bit slower (ie 31 days) whereby the starseers intercalcate an extra day and all that.

Normally the deviation of the sun's speed will not introduce noticable error and so I expect events like this to happen about once a decade or so.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #285