Re: Moon story

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 22:29:37 -0500

In V2 #287, Claude Manzato presents a highly amusing and very ambitious scenario idea:

>the characters are now on the surface of the Red Moon. I expect them to
>run from a danger to the next, avoiding some by stealth, others by
>cunning, and some because they are to puny to be noticed.

Excellent idea. You can basically let your imagination run wild, because the Red Moon is more a spiritual place than a physical one, being half-way to the otherworld. Many of the challenges should be moral and subtle. There will be temptations to accommodate the Lunar way or (if the characters are already Lunars) to slide a little around the Dark Side.

>It is here that I need help to flesh my story out. Anybody aware of
>published material on how the Red Moon surface is like ? Any idea on
>what is to be found there ? Ever thought of how Glorantha is like when
>seen from the Moon ?

In Codex #1, Nick Brooke wrote "The Red Gaze of the Moon," also known as the "roving searchlight theory of the moon." Under this theory (which satisfies Occam's Razor as to all KNOWN facts), the red moon rotates and its shining face, therefore, appears to wax and wane. (I have a table of what phase appears where, if anyone's interested. I also have a chart, but obviously can't post it here.) In Codex #2, Joerg Baumgartner wrote a more spiritual approach with various people's answers to the question "Why does the Red Moon have phases?" My favorite is Icilius Overholy's quip, "The moon is always full, she only looks into different directions."

I know a GM who had a character's soul transported to the moon when the character was killed by Lunar assassins (he was a candidate for tribal king and a Storm Buller, so he had to be terminated with very extreme prejudice.)  Anyway, his soul was there a couple days and was helped to escape by the soul of one of the kings of Sartar, who had been held there a long time.  Don't know the details, as I wasn't present at the game, but I'll bug the GM for them if you want.

>I envision two way to get out for the characters; thru a magical tunnel
>leading them to be excreted at Moonbroth, or by walking on a Moonbow >(as
depicted in the digest by Graeme Willoughby).

Other ways to get off the moon: beg, borrow or steal a moonboat; jump, and hope that terminal velocity in Glorantha is lower than on Earth; fly on the back of (or in the claws of) a flying creature, such as a Tax Demon; teleport (though I wouldn't allow Divine Intervention to Orlanth or any of his minions); or put your Helm of Brilliance on and rise into heaven.

BTW, that magical tunnel is clearly a Mostali artifact, and the Mostali are going to be PRETTY unhappy that their project's security has been compromised....

As for Mostali computers, I think "Steampunk" is the term, applied to a whole sub-genre of SF that sprung from "The Difference Engine," an excellent novel I highly recommend and which answers the question, "What if the information age had begun in the 19th century?"
- -----
Brian Curley (always glad to help a TMBG fan): In addition to the two short sources above, you'll find info in Elder Secrets, which is still in print. Basically, the sky map in ES contradicts earlier sources about how the RM was only visible inside the Glowline. My take on the Glowline is that it causes all magic cast within the line to be as powerful as if the moon were full, regardless of its phase. Outside the glowline, the old rules (i.e., pre-Yara Aranis) apply. The sky map in ES shows the RM as visible as far south as Magasta's pool. Alex Ferguson did some calculations on the apparent size of the RM in various parts of the world: Alex, care to repost it? The Blue Moon is only visible at special times (all magic is revealed at dusk, but you have to know where to look) or with special magic.