Re: MoonWash

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Dec 95 02:33:00 EST

Cap'n Tim is thoroughly put off:

> Nick wrote a detailed treatise on the moons in Digest # 288, and now
> I'm thoroughly put off. I always thought the moon(s) WERE divine
> beings, not places where someone could stand and look at Glorantha.

Hang on: I was hardly saying anything new in my treatise. Most of this information has been available for years. Anyhow, that's like saying you thought Trees (Aldrya) or Cows (Eiritha) WERE "divine beings", without any "physical reality". Where do you think Moon Rock comes from? Where does the silver Ringing Bridge of Glamour lead to? Where is the Lunar Heaven? The Red Moon is a divine *place* (and I wouldn't like to shoot a missile at it myself), but that should have been clear from my writeup.

> Next you'll tell me the Sun is actually larger than the Moon.

The Sun probably *is* larger than the Red Moon: it journeys through the etherial Upper Air, where the Red Moon balances at the topmost part of the Middle Air, but they both appear the same size to observers on the ground. Anyway, men are bigger than women.

> And if this continues, someone will likely suggest that Glorantha
> actually moves around the Sun, rather than the reverse, which is
> obvious to everyone.

Tosh! Sounds like that loony Columbus Mercartor talking. Anyone know if he took that sea voyage we arranged for him?

("In a very real and spiritual sense, all Gloranthan affairs rotate around the Sun. Yelm is the axle of the Wheel of the World, Axis Mundi, the Fixed Centre of Stability, the lynch-pin of all mortal and divine affairs; without the radiant light and benevolence that emnate from him, we are bereft of certainty. When he rises, we sing his praises; when he sets, we wail and mourn. At noon we glorify his name; at night we sleep, as he watches over the demons and protects us from their clutches. Without Yelm, there is nothing. All Glorantha revolves about the Sun God, from his rising to his setting, as he follows his unchanging path around the World. His motion defines reality: all else is Chaos.")

I forgot to mention the Moon Elves specifically, but (of course) as the Red Moon's surface has its own distinctive native flora, it also has Aldryami sub-species tending them.

Nick