Morthander go Home?

From: martin <102541.3423_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Dec 95 14:29:41 EST

>From Delphi:

>Actually I find the Morthander stories interesting.

I'm glad.

>But such a straight-ahead "power-gaming" character is probably in Pavis in the
>first place becausepeople don't want him screwing around in the Heartland.

Exactly.

> After a couple of weeks in Pavis, the Lunar bureaucracy would have him sent to
>Corflu, and after a month there, he would end up in Vulture's Country! "We
have an
>assignment worthy of your talents: first, kill Mariah the Broo leader,
then,after that, >there is that Thanatar temple in Than Ulbar. . ."

All quite likely. Have you read the character profile I posted ages ago on Deville? It mentions that he is destined to chart the Wastes and go to Than Ulbar on an "Ambassadorial mission" ie lets get rid of him in the armpit of the world. If you hadn't read it, I commend you on your psychic powers.

One thing though. Deville was sent South to the conquered lands by the Overseer who doesn't actually see what he's is up to. He just gets reports of upset bureacrats from all over the place which frankly lightens the mans day. He probably roars with laughter over some of Devilles exploits but wouldn't laugh so hard if Deville was in his area because such a fanatic would not baulk at trying to arrest the Overseer if he thought he was corrupt.

>He is an a Jacobin in Thermidor, or an old Bolshevik in the late 30's. He
>may not know it, but one way or the other, he is gone.

Ah, but I like heros like that. Fantasy today is littered with "nice guy" heros who "agonize" over the nasty things they are doing or have "deep personality problems". Heros? Its like reading the life and times of a social worker. Blaaa. I wanna puke. To me a hero is a man or woman who sticks by their beliefs no matter what, because they think they are _right_. Someone who will die for a friend or fight to the last to save a cause. Now thats heroism.

As for Deville being a power-game character, he's not. He is not into power for its own sake, he merely accrues power in the pursuit of his goals.

I detect the usual aversion to powerful characters in Glorantha. I am as to mystified why. Greg littered his world with them and there must be many about who are as powerful as Deville. Grief, these are the _Hero_ Wars you know! Surely the only heros are not just the ones Greg detailed? What is a hero anyway and what makes a hero different from a _H_ero? Until thats clarified I'll stick with Deville cos at least he bloody well does something and doesn't mess about.

Ramos:
>I do not like Morthander Delville. After the Lethal Weapon like assault
>on the poor and innocent Black Fang, I despise him.

The Lethal Weapon parallel made me laugh but actually I was thinking more Robocop when Deville hit the Hazia den. I thought of having his say "Come quietly or there will be.....trouble" but even my corniness has its limits. Yes, I feel sorry for the "poor innocent Black Fang" guys. How can you hate people so dedicated to the cause of good? I mean, Drugs, child prostitution, murders, rapes and theft are what makes the world go round eh?

>So this is what would happen in my campaign (well, my old Pavis campaign). The
>orlanthi (by themselves or spurred by Gimgim covert manipulation) pick a
>"suicide" voluntary. A Dying Moon day, you ensure it is overcast (usual in this
>day, Orlanth is stronger) and the voluntary casts on Delville a Dismiss Magic
>15 (or more), and all the Thunderbolts available to any priests mindlinked with
>him of Orlanth. He might have a DI, but if not (being the day it is),
>the corpse will be too burnt to be ressurrectable. Some Priests will want to
>cast the Thunderbolts personally. And so Orlanth will get a good publicity
>thunderbolting (?) to death a Lunar emissary.

Of course, none of this would never have been attempted on Deville before and of course, he's far too stupid to think up countermeasures........

>Why this does not happen more often? Well, the Lunars can do the same
>with any known orlanthi, and most deaths will only have the dead fellow
>replaced (by somebody worse) and the violence mounting. A lone wolf like
>Delville, antagonizing his supporters in Pavis, is an easy picking. The Coders,
>as an example, are difficult to get all at the same time, and the repercussions
>would be horrible. Although the longterm consequences of killing Delville may
>be as dire, the short term result in Pavis would be good for everybody (but
>him).

Well he may have antagonised the Lunar heirarchy in Pavis but if the Frees attempted to assassinate him on a regular basis even Radak, who dislikes Deville intensely, would fight by his side becasue he hates Orlanthi more. Don't forget that Deville has two very tough body guards and other resources you've not seen yet so he isn't completely alone. Also remember Deville spent nine years of his life in Dart Competitions and magical assaults are his specialty.

>Remember that in Glorantha a concerted group of magic-users, and/or a
>totally dedicated fanatic can kill practically anybody. The trick is avoiding
>being a target until you are ready to survive. Argrath leaves Pavis when he
>becomes a target, and even when he is a Hero, he is always supported by his
>companions. Most of the great feats in Glorantha are Group Affairs, and the
>system tends to squash the lone hero (except Harrek. Harrek is always the
>exception).

Agreed, but there are levels of power in what you are saying here. Five apprentice sorcerers would probably be beaten by the likes of Arlaten.

Ah, well back to writing another bit for those still interested!

Martin Laurie

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #290