Martin's Phase Table

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 22 Dec 95 06:20:42 EST

Re: Red Moon Phase Table

Lots of credit for Martin for posting his table of the phases of the Red Moon. As a Loony, however, I noticed that his Moon appears to rotate backwards (cf. the mapboard chart of Lunar Cyclical Magic in "Dragon Pass" for the true, clockwise "sweep of the searchlight"), an error Martin's table shares with Oliver Jovanovic's "Runes" font. Because of this easy mistake, his chart contradicts the only previous publication on the subject, namely my article in Codex #1 ("Red Gaze of the Moon"), which included a chart of the phases at Torang.

My own map makes a further distinction, between Phase changes at Sunrise or Sunset. The baseline is a straight line from the Crater to Blessed Torang: along this line, the phase of the moon changes from Empty Half to Full Moon precisely at sunset on Windsday. You can draw extra divisions every (360/14) degrees around the map. Label the sector south of Torang "Windsnight", then "Fireday," "Firenight" and so on clockwise around the map.

Some major cities are near enough "on" these lines to make the muezzin's (and mapmaker's!) job easier. Namely:

Torang		Windsday sunset (by definition)
Hoyanth		Fireday sunrise
Two Towers	Fireday sunset
Hilltown	Wildday sunrise
Jillaro		Wildday sunset
Haranshold	Godsday sunrise
Doblian City	Freezeday sunset
Storal		Waterday sunrise
Graclodont	Clayday sunrise
Joranit		Clayday sunset
Elz Ast		Windsday sunrise

Just fleshing out my version (as described in Codex): if you prefer having a backwards-turning moon with the most significant phase/weekday correlations shining out over the wastes of Brolia, fair enough.

I am looking forward to the selenomancy article.

Nick