Orlanthi cats & dogs; Heroes of Wisdom

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 23:57:16 -0800

In my version of East Ralios, I've portrayed the Orlanthi as cat people. After all, Orlanth's mythological half-brother is Yinkin the Alynx, and King of Sartar talks of the "Bad Dogs." And some of the Orlanthi are descended from cat hsunchen; none were formerly Telmori.

It's difficult to explain why they don't keep dogs, however. The Riskland Campaign in Dorastor: Land of Doom makes reference to hunting alynxes, but dogs are far more common as hunters' assistants, and I'm not aware of any Earthly examples of cattle-herding cats. My limited (and probably inaccurate) knowledge of cattle suggests that cows are more afraid of dogs than cats, and if the Bemuri formed the bulk of the original Orlanthi, then a dog-hating prejudice might have been maintained, perhaps even to the extreme of this Irish law:

"If a dog defecated on someone's land, its owner was obliged to dress the 'wound' to the earth, by cleaning the contaminated area, covering it with a clod of earth and with cow-manure for a month; in addition he or she had to give the owner lumps of butter, dough and curds, each the size of the offending feces." [Cattle Lords & Clansmen: The Social Structure of Early Ireland]

I will be the North American distributor for the English language edition of Heroes of Wisdom, the guidebook for the Jonstown LARP, which was held at the German RQ convention earlier this year. I have finally received a copy, and hope to get to a print shop this week. It's 40 pages, including local dignitaries, tribes, history, maps, and essays on the Lhankor Mhy cult. I haven't had time to read it, but it looks nicely done. The cost is $8, including shipping. You must send me a check (in $US, made out to me):

David Dunham
532 N 71st St
Seattle, WA 98103-5127

I will ship orders soon. I don't expect to print more copies than orders, so if you're interested in a copy, please send a check today. I will not be reprinting this.

To those of you who sent me money already, yes, I cashed your check, but no, I haven't run off to the Bahamas yet, and will be sending out your copy as soon as I get them made.

And while I'm advertising, I'll mention my Gloranthan Web site, <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>.