Re: Magic questions

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 17:19:16 -0800

Hasni Mubarak wondered

>Dormal: Do worshipers of Saint Dormal get DI?

I wouldn't allow it.

>Other Saints: Do other saints give DI?

I don't imagine they do, except perhaps for Heortlending Aeolian saints such as Saint Chalana and Saint Orlanth.

>Farmers: Farmers don't get intenstity, so what sorecery spells can they
>use that is not completly worthless? Smother 1 is the only one I can
>come up with. Any one else?

Rokari farmers do learn Intensity, and I'll bet most Stygian variants do as well. However, Damage Boosting 1 is better than nothing, Drain 1 can be cast repeatedly to exhaust an opponent, Enhance <Characteristic> may yield a damage bonus, Form/Set <substance> is perfect for crafters, Glow has obvious applications, Hinder 1 is probably all you need to catch someone, Holdfast 1 is also useful for crafter (as a temporary glue), Mystic Vision 1 shows what's magic, Neutralize Magic 1 can remove any other 1-point spell, <Sense> Projection can be very useful even at short range (you can see through walls), Sense <Substance> can find treasure buried up to 1 metre deep, Skin of Life 1 will protect a child, Spell Resistance 1 can surprise the attacking barbarians, Telepathy 1 works perfectly well, Venom 1 always does 1 point of damage if you make the MP vs MP roll (round up in RQ).

>Humakti Gifts: Does the gift go away when a Humakti dies?

I say yes, but I'll bet the magic swords are passed down to a new initiate willing to follow the geas, so the practical effect is no.