Thoughts on Loskalm

From: Watson, Paul: EDM <watson.paul_at_ic.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 17:09:24 -0500

I am working on a campaign which will be set in Fronela, with the characters starting life as Loskalmi. Since there is little published information on the campaign area, I've been piecing together what has been published, what I've been able to glean from the various list archives (I've downloaded them all and put them into a database file; with nearly fifteen thousand articles it'll take a bit of time to glean what I want), and my own random thoughts.  It's these random thoughts I would like to run past the luminaries of this list for comments, criticism, etc.

Generally, I use Medieval Europe as a guide, but with some major differences.

A Farmer's Lot in Life

This is one of the main differences between Loskalm and Medieval Europe. A Loskalmi Farmer is not heavily taxed, and the taxes are not used (for the most part) to support an obscenely sumptuous lifestyle for the upper castes (more on this later). Part of the taxes paid are set aside for lean years, to account for a lower taxation rate. In exceptionally lean years, this set-aside portion (especially the set-aside grain tax) is distributed to the people. The specifics vary from province to province, and are under the control of the Princes.

The Farmer knows that he can rely upon the Knights for protection. (From my admittedly limited understanding of Medieval Europe, the peasantry often had cause to wish for protection FROM the knights). Likewise, he knows he can rely on the Wizards for spiritual (and moral) guidance, healing, plow blessings, etc.

Why Are the Farmers So Well Teated?

Every Loskalmi king since the adoption of Hrestoli Idealism has risen from peasant parentage. Additionally, many of the lesser Nobility, Wizard, and Knights, will also have risen from similar parentage. Not all of their children will rise as well. How heavily will they tax, and how poorly will the treat, their own kin? Of course, there are members of the upper castes who are moved only by self-interest. They are only human, after all. For them, there is always the question of...

Why Aren't Farmers Lining Up at the WatchDog Committees Doorways, Looking to Flood the Upper Castes, and

Drain the Lower?

After all, doesn't Hrestoli Idealism encourage this sort of social climbing?

Many of the answers to that question have been given above. To reiterate: good treatment, fair taxes, and the fact that while the upper castes do live better lives (naturally!), they are not (in general) nearly as sumptuous as, say, the lives of Seshnegi upper castes. A Loskalmi noble wearing Kralorelan silks, woven with gold thread, and adorned with precious stones and Palmatelan ostrich feathers is a rare sight.

Additionally, one cannot rise directly to the Wizard or Noble castes. One must first rise to the Knightly caste. Members of this caste are fully expected to fight and to lay down their lives to defend the Kingdom.  Advancement past this caste involves becoming a weapons master, as well as a master of other battle skills. This usually means actual combat experience. The risks to life and limb presented by this caste keep many Farmers on their farms.

The Knight Caste

Rising from the Farmer Caste, into the Knight Caste, does not make one an actual Knight. Instead, one is a soldier. Becoming a Knight is not strictly a matter of having a certain level of skill. One becomes a Knight through deeds, piety, and yes, politics.

Fashion

There are no sumptuary laws restricting what a member of the upper castes can wear. However...
1) As stated above (or at least implied), the upper castes do not get rich off taxes/tithes/etc. Which is not to say the wealthy don't exist. Some Loskalmi mercantile families are doing quite will with the new trade boom. 2) Farmers wear what they can afford (and with stickpickers and merchants in the same caste, this can vary quite a bit). Those with the funds, will sometimes try to "ape their betters." Knights tend to live a lifestyle which is little better (and is sometimes worse) than the one they left behind. Hence, they will wear much the same clothing they wore before. A Wizard's clothing varies depending on their duties and rank within the Church and their attainment as Sorcerer's. Noble's tend towards understated displays of station, following the example set by King Gundreken. Except when in the company of dignitaries of other lands, he typically wears plain, unadorned doe-skin tunic and trousers, with perhaps a linen cloak. (Need I mention he always wears his crown? He wouldn't even go boar-hunting without it).

That's about all I have time to type today. I'll post some more in the new year. And as I stated above, and comments/criticism/complaints are welcome.

Paul