Yinkin

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 22:01:01 +0100

David Hall thinks:

>...that the Orlanthi (at least in DP) are descended from Cat Hsunchen
>people. This is where all the myths involving Yinkin as Orlanth's brother
>originate from.

While this is a good idea, it might also be the other way around - orlanthi devolving into hsunchen? I don't think that all DP orlanthi are descended from Cat Hsunchen, but some definitely are.

Incidentally, in my early 1500s campaign, there is a group called the Yinkiri. They are a Hunting Clan, an intermediary between hsunchen and traditional orlanthi. They share a strange bond with Yinkin, which is their only god apart from their local spirit cults.

The Yinkiri live in the eastern Far Point, where some other non-tribal clans also live - the Tres, Amad and Bachad Clans mostly.

>The problem with Yinkin as he exists in the Orlanthi pantheon at the
>moment is that he doesn't have a decent role in society, and thus I can't
>see anyone worshipping him except as an extra in a mythic re-enactment.

A possible role is that of Herald and Eye of Orlanth. In KoS Yinkin is the secret perception of Orlanth - the bringer of portents, visions and secrets. Thus Y could also be the messenger between Orlanth and his priests.

Yinkin's cult is probably fully integrated with Orlanth's. The sub-cult could be the Third Eye of Orlanth, possibly a mystery for the Winds or the Voices. Yinkin could also be a mystery cult for heroquesters - Yinkin knows many secret paths through the otherworld.

>I'm moving to the view that within the Lismelder Uncle Yinkin is a
>sub-cult or co-cult of Odayla. He provides the perceptive skills and the
>link with nature that a good hunter requires. And, of course, the hunting
>cats that are a hunter's best friend.

Yinkin is a sub-cult of both Odyala and Orlanth in Far Point, but provides slightly different tricks - to Odyalans he teaches his Hunting Tricks and to Orlanthi he provides his Perception.

For Odaylans Yinkin is the most important of the Hunter's Friends - Storm Crow, Running Fox and Horned Owl are other Odaylan spirit cults.

>(Nick Brooke has proved to us all that shadow cats don't herd!)

Where and when did he prove this? I've never seen this, but i'd very much like to.

Has anyone written a Yinkin write-up?

Anyway, HNY everyone.

"Annus obiit, onus abiit" - 'The year is dead, the burden is gone' (my excuses to Martialis for deliberately misquoting)