Much ado about Yinkin

From: David Hall <100116.2616_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 31 Dec 95 09:01:58 EST

Yinkini:

Michael Raaterova:
>I don't think that all DP orlanthi are descended from Cat Hsunchen,
>but some definitely are.

Agreed. However, the Cat Hsunchen influence must have been very strong for those myths to survive.

>it might also be the other way around - orlanthi devolving into hsunchen?

Hmm... so you think the myths are new ones made up for a reason? What reason? What external influence is leading to the need for new cat myths and new hsunchen customs and practices? Are the forests returning? Are the crops failing?

In Orlanthi society there is increasingly less need for a link to nature, to man's hidden perceptions, to the beast within. Orlanthi don't need to hunt and gather any more - they don't need the Old Way to survive. They increasingly have farming, crafting, cities, trade, roads, laws, and institutions. They're evolving into a more "civilised" and modern society.

Of course, this isn't happening to all Orlanthi, or at the same rate. The Brolians are still close to their hsunchen roots, but in Sartar and in Western Ralios we can see this move toward "civilisation" as old Orlanthi ways have to adapt in the face of new cultures and threats.

So, Yinkins myths are IMO a throwback to the Old Way. Sort of like a human's appendix: it used to have a big function but now it's not so relevant.

>A possible role is that of Herald and Eye of Orlanth.

Yes, but what role does this give to a worshipper? How do they *eat*? All I can see a Yinkin worshipper doing is turning up to ceremonies and taking Yinkin's place in a few myths (and any Orlanthi can do that). Outside of holy days they would have to worship a different aspect of Orlanth in order to survive day to day.

All of the other gods in Orlanth's pantheon have a defined role which puts food in their bellies. Yinkin doesn't unless he's a hunting god.

>Has anyone written a Yinkin write-up?

But, the point is that Yinkin is a sub-cult of Odayla and Orlanth. There is no cult of Yinkin. His current role doesn't warrant one.

Peter Michaels:
>You're starting to BELIEVE those lies about "the barbarians" being
>"descended from beasts!" ;-)

Oh, but they are! If you count "descended from beasts" as being descended from Hsunchen hunter gatherers. And, of course, so are all the Westerners as well - though they'd tar and feather me if they heard me say it.

I'll go along with your idea of Catseye being from Yinkin. I wonder, do you think Yinkin is still a part of the Yelmalion pantheon? In my Vantaros version of the Yelmalio/Elmal story maybe Yinkin is Elmal/Yelmalio's best friend? Both are loners/outcasts. Elmal because he's an adopted foreigner/hostage and Yinkin because he's part of the Old Way which is fast being forgot. (My Odayla/Yinkin myth goes something like this as well.) This would be the reason why hunting cats are also used by the Yelmalion clans of Far Point.

The Whistling Caves story is where Yinkin gets blown out of his mother's cave by Orlanth. The trickster link is a bit tenuous.

Loskalmi:

Paul Watson:
>Every Loskalmi king since the adoption of Hrestoli Idealism has risen from
>peasant parentage

Actually, I suspect there haven't been any kings who have risen from peasant parentage. The current king, Gundraken, was a squire of Prince Snodal in the time before the idealist church was formed - and therefore of good noble parentage. Since Gundraken was there at the formation of the church he's unlikely to have gone through all of the stages of the idealist church (or at least had an easy farming test to get him by).

Presumably Gundraken was an excellent candidate to be king. He wasn't kin of Siglat (which would have made a mockery of the idealist concept) but he was close to the king and known to be good chap.

Peasant kings! Pah! It's all a fix.

The Goddess give us another Extra Full Moon Year! All Hail the Reaching Moon!

David Hall