Stygian DI, and "Hsunchen" Orlanthi

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 16:14:22 MET

David Hall:

> In game terms only worshippers of Saints in the Aeolian Church (and
> similar Stygian churches) get access to DI. Remember the Aeolian Church
> includes saints such as Saint Humakt, Saint Chalana Arroy, etc. The
> worship of Saints in this church is very much akin to that of worshipping
> spirits and gods in a pantheistic cult, though many of their clerics
> would deny it. (There might be a case for making this DI mechanic
> different to the one used for pantheistic religions. Ideas?)

I was toying around with a hybrid between Saints' blessings and the idea which has been discussed for RQ4 DI that the intervention takes the form of Divine Magic with somewhat altered effects. If the dictum that DI mustn't affect the enemy directly applies to Saints' DI as well, only effects restricted to the person asking for the DI or his companions should be considered. No problem in case of St. Chalana's DI, but a hard nut in case of St. Humakt.

> Cat People:

> I think that the Orlanthi (at least in DP) are descended from Cat
> Hsunchen people.

I agree that some of the DP Orlanthi did have beast ties to cats, but also to other beasts - mainly herd beasts, like cattle, sheep, or even deer and aurochs. Whether these were actual Hsunchen as per the Hykim and Mikyh write-up, or rather people similar to Hsunchen in some respects, like the Votanki dog people or the Praxian beast riders before the events of Waha's Quest (which resulted in the riding relation to their beasts) and Waha's covenant, remains diffuse. This is a topic for hard-core scholars, anyway, since no 3rd Age Orlanthi (IMO not even Dawn Age Orlanthi) will be aware of this origin.

I am willing to discuss whether Vingkot and his tribe(s) were Hsunchen descended, preferably in private, though, since this is a nitpicking topic worse than the Old Malkioni debate which earned me my first yellow flag.

> The problem with Yinkin as he exists in the Orlanthi pantheon at the
> moment is that he doesn't have a decent role in society, and thus I
> can't see anyone worshipping him except as an extra in a mythic
> re-enactment.

This is about to change with the actions of Enjeem Leopard, IMO, who will make some sort of large cat an active military branch in the cause of Dragon Pass against the evil Empire. If one believes the reassessed timeline of the Sacred Kings list, then Enjeem the Leopard was/will be active in the near future.

(IMO the Unstey in the Sacred Kings list mentioned before Inkarne is identical with Annstad of Dunstop, who became Sacred King after Mularik Ironeye was killed as King of Tarsh. Enjeem is listed before Unstey, and fought the Full Moon Dancer, likely the Red Dancer of Power, the spirit associated to Icilius Overholy. This could make Enjeem a Tarsh NPC similar to Garrath Sharpsword in Pavis...

> Also IMO Argrath is one of the leaders of the Black Fang Brotherhood
> in Pavis! Or the New Teeth, as his part of the family is called (per
> KoS). Now *that* would make a fiendish twist to the Deville story...

I cannot help the feeling that the "Black Fang" figuring in Martin's stories is somehow identical to Gimgim the Grim... This would make sense of Garrath fighting the enemy within one of his own organisations, and his later conflict upon entering Pavis (as per Argrath Saga, KoS p.23).

Oh, Happy Change in the YY part of your dates to all!

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #300