Galininae and Hsunchen

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 1996 12:44:26 +1300

Loren Miller:

>In the meantime, as per Martin's suggestion, I've replaced the
>reference to Char-un with the Galanini, but I'm not quite sure where
>the Galanini were at the time of Sironder's migration.

The Galanini are a Ralian People who lived in Modern Safelster. Some were hired by the Monster Army (aka World Council of Friends) to fight the Horse Riders of Peloria during the first age. Although they were settled down as Overlords in some parts of Peloria, I think most of them were voluntarily converted to the Solar Way in 247 ST when Khordavu gave the World Council the B.F.O. Consequently I don't think the Pelorian migrants maintained their ethnic identity to be floating around Fronela when Sironder is looking

The Ralian Galanini have been reduced to some tribes in the East Wilds. The vast majority of them were converted to the Malkioni Way (Stygian or other) over the bygone years.

Divad Llah:

MR>>I don't think that all DP orlanthi are descended from Cat Hsunchen, MR>>but some definitely are.

>Agreed. However, the Cat Hsunchen influence must have been very strong
>for those myths to survive.

I think the Yinkini were only assimiliated into the Dragon Pass Orlanthi after time. The Earliest Orlanthi are known to be wearing sheepskins.

There's a reference to a post-dawn mention of the Cat People in the Telmor Cult Writeup which implies that they still exist. I think the Yinkini still live around KeroFin. The Mountain's sacred importance to the Orlanthi (and their emphasis on kinship) means that the Yinkini are writ large in the mythic landscape of the Orlanthi. Beyond Dragon Pass, I don't think Orlanthi give a shit about the Alynxes. The Dorastor alynxes belong to a steed whose occupants originally came from the Lismelder tribe of Sartar.

>If you count "descended from beasts" as being descended from
>Hsunchen hunter gatherers. And, of course, so are all the
>Westerners as well - though they'd tar and feather me if they
>heard me say it.

This is a vexed question. I do not believe that all human cultures passed through the Hsunchen Stage. They may all have passed through a Hunter Gatherer stage during the Green Age and they may be all evolved from the Beasts via evolution but I do not believe that all or even most passed through the Hsunchen stage. As a counterpoint, I offer Wild Man of the Kralori Mythos as an example of what the earliest humans could have been like yet not be considered Hsunchen.