The ancestry of the Vingkotlings

From: Bryan J. Maloney <bjm10_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 11:56:45 -0400 (EDT)

> I am willing to discuss whether Vingkot and his tribe(s) were Hsunchen
> descended, preferably in private, though, since this is a nitpicking
> topic worse than the Old Malkioni debate which earned me my first
> yellow flag.

In my own interpretations, Vingkot was the son of Vinga, hence his name. The father was Barntar--yes, that is incestuous, since Vinga is the elder full sister of Orlanth (cf
http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Links/maloney/vinga.html), making Barntar her nephew, but many things that are now forbidden were done by the Gods before the Law was widely promulgating (cf every friggin' set of mythology the earth has ever produced).

Barntar and Vinga are the main characters in a fairly ribald tale I once told about how Vinga regained her fertility and why she is not associated with the Death Rune.
I intend to transcribe it some time to a written form. Main characters:

Vinga, who cannot get her soil to blossom because it was made too hard and

    dry by her toying with Death (rune) for a time.

Orlanth, a self-centered blowhard and a bit of a buffoon.
Ernalda, a put-upon and overworked goddess who needs a vacation.
Barntar, a hard-working youth who's willing to help.
Asrelia, she who knows, and cackles.

This myth is related when the children are abed and the folks have been mellowed by good ale and meat.