Red Moon vs Green Shadows

From: Barbara Braun <zbraun_at_minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 13:06:53 +1100 (EDT)

If the eye receptors of humans in Glorantha work using the same chemicals as eyes in the real world than the shadows cast by the Red Moon would be green as one of the colour pairs used by the chemicals is red/green. The other is yellow/blue and I think the third pair is white/black (actually due to the rods, the previous two pairs are due to the cones). So if you stare at red patches for a while, you can close your eyes and get after colours on your eyelids of green. Hence the sayings:

Red and green should never be seen.
Yellow and blue will never do.
(Very good advice when designing colour overheads for your presentations)

Therefore the colour overload from staring at the red coloured world at night would lead your eye to interpret the shadows as green coloured. Likewise the blue moon could cast yellow shadows if it was bright enough
(I seem to remember it is too far away and not bright enough in the sky
due to accidents of the God Time).

However if human eyes don't work with the same chemicals as in the real world than shadows are the absence of light and thus would be just black.

Cheers, Andrew
(Six months of colour science finally pays off for something other than
dyeing textiles into the latest fashion colours) PS Does this mean shades in the Lunar Empire are in fact ghastly green monsters :-)