Deville the Ego Kick?

From: martin <102541.3423_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 02 Jan 96 05:46:39 EST

David Hall writes in reply to me:
Me:>>Powergamers are players who wish to gain power simply because they like
>>to be hard and bully people. Its an ego kick and is very very dull.

>OK, but though Deville's mission in life may be pure, he is hard and he does
>bully people. Is a story where the hero kicks the shit out of the Black Fang
and
>Thanatari head-hunters, humilities and executes members of the Lunar
>establishment, talks back to Sor-Eel, and fights Argrath to a standstill, not
an
>itzy little bit of an ego kick? ;>)

Devilles mission in life is not really pure, except maybe to him. Everyone else tends to hate the guy.

As for Deville being an ego kick, well he isn't one for me, going out with Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer for a date, now _that_ would be an ego kick!. But writing about a fantasy character with big muscles? Frankly I'd have to be a sad bastard to need an ego boost like that.

Besides I'm sure all of us out there have seen characters do some of the things Deville does. The story would not be the story it is _unless_ Deville was tough enough to do these things. What would be the point of the Coders if they were really weedy? They'd get killed in a week if they were. Same goes for Deville.

However, I do enjoy writing Deville cos it makes me laugh and to be honest, I think there has been a distinct lack of hard blokes "kicking the shit" out of people since I joined the digest. I noticed that you'd actually read the stuff I last posted, presumably to "better comprehend the material you wish to disparage" well good because if I got an response, good or bad then I'm happy. I want to make something real clear here, I'm not writing about a nice guy, nor will I. So if you don't like Deville, fine, but give a better reason that the hackneyed attack on powergaming which I firmly believe is the preserve of 16 year old AD&D players wanting to kill a god with their 28th level thingumijig.

Anyway, if you will excuse me, I have to go and write about iron thewed chaps with a woman in one hand and a girder with a hilt he calls a sword in the other.....Oh good, I can feel my ego swelling already......

Martin "Sad Bastard" Laurie