Re: Alynxes

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 17:43:36 -0600

Martin
>Hunting alynxes, I believe, work like this: the hunter follows the
>alynx to keep the it from eating the whole kill (sort of like
>hawking, but with cats instead).

        My own experience with cats and knowledge of panthers and leopards is that it probably wouldn't be difficult at all to train a cat to bring its prey home to its owner. Expecially given that it's next to impossible to train the damn things NOT to bring home unwelcome prey items, such as live gophers and headless snakes.

        However, the "hunter" may normally not accompany his cat on its expeditions. For one thing, watching a hunting cat ply its trade is incredibly tedious, since most of the time is spent watching the cat sit absolutely still in ambush mode. For another, the hunter's presence would just tend to spook prey animals. Some hunters with especially well-trained cats may take advantage of this, and try to frighten prey towards the alynx. But even in such cases, the hunter normally wouldn't observe the kill. *sigh*

        Alynxes are small enough that most of their game doubtless consists of rabbits, grouse, and the ilk. I'm sure they're capable of taking down a deer at times (just as are cougars).

        I, too, loved Nick Brooke's explanation of why alynxes aren't used to herd beasts. Note, however, that an alynx might make a fine watch animal or patrol animal. They're quite as territorial as any dog, and their senses are even keener at night, provided you can keep them from wandering off the property. The drawback is that they're unlikely to bark and awaken the household. The advantage is that an intruder won't know it's there until he feels its claws in his back -- I guess _his_ yelling might be expected to awaken the household?

Sandy