Re: DI for Dormal

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 18:18:20 -0600

Loren Miller
>Is anybody else out there operating under the assumption that
>Malkioni who follow a particular saint still pray to the Invisible
>God for Divine Intervention?

        I follow this practice for most Malkioni sects. I'm sure there's a benighted group somewhere who interacts with the Invisible God solely through his saints. Not the Hrestoli or Rokari, though. Mebbe the Sedalpists, who I think need something extra in my writeup of them.

        There is at least one good-sized sect which never calls for DI, on the basis that if the Invisible God doesn't grant it without asking, it's improper. This latter sect are the not-yet-famous Renunciators of the East Isles, whose dogma insists that all use of magic ties one deeper to the mundane world, wasting our soul in useless trivia. Only by abstaining from magic can we grow closer to the Creator. The appeal of this way spread beyond Malkionism, and people of other creeds now cleave to it, even including some dragonewts.

        Mokato's Edict of Renunciation gave great impetus to the movement, and ultimately provided it with a name. At one time, many people danced the Dance of Renunciation, but their throngs have now thinned. Since the Renunciators demonstrate remarkable abilities, the heresy is kept alive.

        The official sect of the East Isles, Valkarism, is halfheartedly opposed to this belief, and none of the High Priests have yet adopted this heresy. It's undecided as yet if a Renunciator should be excommunicated. It's doubtful that this would be a question in the West, but the East Islanders are tolerant by nature. Still, Malkioni are not, so the debate continues.

Sandy P.