Re: cat hsunchen

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 18:22:43 -0600

Michael Raaterova and David Hall both think that (at least some) Orlanthi descended from cat hsunchen.

        I myself am less than convinced. Just because the Orlanthi have a cat in their pantheon, and domesticate alynxes is, IMO, insufficient reason. One may as well accept Joerg's thesis that the Orlanthi derive from cattle hsunchen.

        For one thing, the technique of domesticating alynxes is doubtless known to all who live near the Rockwoods (okay, I admit that all such folk happen to be Orlanthi except in the far east Rockwoods, where the Balazarings train dogs anyway).

        More importantly, accepting this degrading theory leaves the Orlanthi open to the Malkioni (and Kralori) accusation that all non-Malkioni (or non-Kralori) humans _are_ in fact descended from beasts. We can't let them get away with it!

Sandy P.