Re: Magic For Hire

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 96 18:45:39 -0600

Loren
> why do you need magicians independent of cults
>if cult-bound magicians serve as well?

Martin
>Because it's part of the human condition. The Eurmali or other
cult >priest has an agenda of his own; sometimes you need someone who just >does what you want done, for a fee. There are soldiers, and then >there are mercenaries. There are employees, and then there are >contractors.

        But employees and soldiers do what you tell them to do, too. In any case, NO ONE in Glorantha or the real world lacks an agenda of his own. Mercenaries don't have an agenda? You can hire a Rune Priest to do things for you, and I see no reason you can't walk right up to your own Wind Voice and ask him to cast a spell for you, for which you'd naturally give a big donation to Orlanth (through him). Why would the priest refuse? Only if you asked for something illicit or that he didn't approve of. But that could happen if you hired a mercenary, too ("I want to hire you to storm the 4th precinct station, kill the cops, and free my brother" -- even modern soulless mercenaries would not take on the job).

        If you need something illicit and evil done, you're going to have to go crawling to an illicit or evil person (as in the real world). So seek an illicit or evil priest. Do you have the right contacts? Can you get a Lunar priest to cast the spell for you in turn for helping him convert your neighbor? Maybe you can look up an evil Chaos priest -- I doubt many of them would refuse your request, if enough $$ was offered.

        This is only for the priests.

>Shamans in Glorantha are all _described_ as cult-oriented

        They are? In that they all get their power from the Horned God, I guess this is so, but so what? Most don't hold worship ceremonies very often if at all, and almost all will perform services for people they know. Even the good old neighborhood witch wouldn't normally do things for folks unfamiliar to her.

        Go to a shaman and pay him for an elemental spirit. He'll summon it, giving credit to the totemic Bear God or whoever, and that'll be that. What do you care where he gets his power?

WIZARDS
Wizards are perfectly able to be cultless and in fact even under the Malkioni system there are wizards with little connection to the bulk of society. In addition, wizards often travel afar. There is a wizard living in Pavis, for instance, who makes his living casting spells for the rich.

In summary, those looking for magic-for-hire can either get it from their own spiritual leader for a fee or they can go to an evil priest, or to one of the less-insane shamans, or to the local wizard, if there is one. If there's no local wizard, they may have to travel some distance to one, a good thing for an adventure to my mind.

Sandy P.