Loskalmi Farmers and Families

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 03 Jan 96 04:56:24 EST

Nils wrote:

> It's much easier to say that in the God Time Yinkin, the god of
> cats helped Orlanth, the god of storm and was his foster brother.
> Because of that (pre)historic fact, Yinkin is present in the myths
> and worshipped by some.

But *why* do they worship him? Because they like cats? Because they keep shadow-cats? Because they're hunters, or night watchmen, or have good eyesight, or always land on their feet? What is the social benefit of worshipping Yinkin. I accept that he exists; I accept that a god of Cliff Toads exists, and might have helped Orlanth in the Godtime. But who are the "some" who would worship the god of Cliff Toads because of this assistance? What do they get out of it? What is the role of Cliff Toad fanciers (or Shadow Cat fanciers) in Orlanthi society?

Just my take on this. Saying "He exists, therefore he is worshipped" seems to miss something out, IMHO. Presenting a Reaching Moon unified front, I broadly agree with David's take, and reiterate my support for Peter Michaels' suggestion:

> I believe the spell Catseye belongs to Yinkin (who provides it to
> the Orlanthi), not Yelmalio ... I give Yelmalio the spell Brighteye,
> which does the same thing [etc.]

An elegant solution, which I'd adopt myself.

Maybe Yinkin is the god of shadow-cat hunters, while Odayla is the god of human hunters? This would make it similar to Brother Dog, Gorakiki, Zola Fel, and all those Hsunchen cults with a large animal membership. The few human worshippers would be decidedly odd folk, but wouldn't need a horde of human initiates to support their "priestly" role.

More reasons (supplementing Sandy's) for

WHY ALL LOSKALMI FARMERS DON'T TRY TO ADVANCE THEIR CLASS Because they love their family and home comforts too much. They don't want to be separated from their parents (now) or children (when they come of age). They like life in the village or town where they were born: and if you stay a farmer, it never has to change. If my son does come over all idealistic, and wants to leave home and join the Army, we might try to talk him out of it ("We need you to help us work the land, my son: a fosterling, the soft-handed son of a Lord, wouldn't know nearly as much as you, nor work half as hard: he'd be harnessing the pigs to the plough, and grazing them in the barley-field!"). Or we could make sure he's shepherding in the high pastures next County Fair so he can't get to the recruiter's booth. For his own good, of course: soldiers can get hurt!

OTOH, for the children of Lords, being sent away from home aged twelve to their work as Farmers could be like children being sent to boarding school by their traditional upper-class English parents. "Now, keep a stiff upper lip, young man, and don't let the family name down. It'll be hard work on the land, but very rewarding, and your mother and I are expecting to hear great things of you. Now kiss your mother goodbye, and we'll see you at Sacred Time. Stop that sniffling, Timmy! Is that any way to behave on your first day at the farm?"

(And, in the coach on the way back to the estate, as Mother weeps into an embroidered handkerchief: "Don't worry, my dear: Farming never did me any harm. It'll make a man of him, that's all. And I'm sure the Squire will allow you to send him a cake for his birthday." Meanwhile, poor young Timmy is making his first new Farmer-class friends: most likely *not* the local kids, who aren't disoriented and missing home like he is, but among his fellow fosterlings or dormitory-dwellers or whatever the local system is).

This is presuming most of the "Farmer class" children of higher class parents are separated from their family. If they aren't, of course, advancement is much easier, as their parents could readily arrange softer duties, additional tuition, better equipment and the like, by shows of concern or by out and out corruption. Even if it *is* just smuggling another cake into the dormitories, "Hereditary Rights are Hereditary Wrongs!" I'd suspect it's an abuse of position for a high-class family to "arrange" for their child to be a Farmer locally (though it probably still happens out in the boonies where the Watchdogs don't see).

NB: this is the classic "Farmer means farming" case. Other children of good family are sent to be servants to guildsmen, knights or wizards (the Crafters, Squires and Acolythists of the Genertela Book), again being removed from their roots and thrust into a strange and unfamiliar environment. A series of letters home from a Loskalmi boy recounting his progression through the "Farmer" class and on into the Army would be an enjoyable way of showing how their society works; I might try my hand at it some time.

How are Lord's-son "Farmers" integrated into the rural economy? They could be stuck in a dormitory, workhouse or labour camp; fostered out to needy widows and families whose sons have joined the Army; they could be concentrated to work on big projects which the locals aren't working on.

From the examples of working for craftsmen, knights and wizards, it appears likely that fostering out to families in need might be the "natural" way to do it; OTOH, if you prefer the "barracks" (Soldier) / "collegiate" (Wizard) atmosphere of the higher class structures, lumping them together might make more sense, and has a more "modern" feel to it. Probably both ways happen, and some prefer one or the other, or think it's a better way. (Or want my son to have the same upbringing I did: "Never did me any harm", again).

Nick