Re: Nehcnush

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 20:29:10 -0500

In V2 #305, Andrew Behan writes:

>IMO all sentient animals are "hsunchen" with Transform Head (Speech),
>Transform Body (Walk Upright) and Transform Limbs (Use Tools) spells
>allowing them to temporarily take on human form. Many tula priestesses are
>sentient animals, so naturally the species that worships your tula is taboo
>to hunt,
>though the exact reason why is a "womens' secret". IMO this is the
>Brolian/Hsunchen connection.

This is way cool, but I'd require animals to get spells the same way everyone else does, rather than (as implied) automatically getting them. Perhaps I'm inferring something you didn't intend. Anyway, there'd be raccoon shamans (frex) who'd teach the spells you name. Another quibble: all intelligent animals can talk, but they don't speak the local human language unless they've learned it. Their mother tongue is a hsunchen language. Thus, an intelligent wolf speaks Telmori. (Awakened Praxian herd animals are different, for various reasons, and speak Praxian.)

I don't think ALL awakened animals have hsunchen-type spells. In Brolia, most might.

It depends. People hunt with cheetahs, and have done so for centuries, if not millenia. While not the best model for alynxes (which I agree tend to use stealth), their existence shows that there's more than one hunting method. That's why I suggested the hawking model.