The God of Nature

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:53:20 +0000 (GMT)

Sandy says:
> NATURE OF THE WORLD
> There are three types of Laws that we must follow.
> First are the Laws of Nature. These are immutable and
> attempts to violate them result in direct harm to the physical body.
> For instance, fire burns, water drowns. a long fall is injurious.
> It is possible to bypass these laws temporarily, but their effects
> are still present.

It was mainly to evince some comment on the Malkioni perception of the Laws of Nature I originally wrote. To what extent do they underlie the workings of sorcery? I imagine from the description of sorcery as Gloranthan science that it represents an attempt to understand the mind of God through the use of received Zzaburian observations. The Rokari obsession with achieving immortality through the observation of caste restrictions strikes me as an attempt to cause a physical effect through the manipulation of moral law.

How do you violate a physical law? By the intervention of spirits or gods? Natural magic (sorcery) vs Demonic (divine/spirit) magic, just like in the good old medieval west.

> Third are the Laws of Man. These are created by the minds
> of Men, in imitation of God, and ought to be obeyed, where they do
> not violate higher Laws.

No "Ten Commandments" revealing moral law to men? In the early Middle Ages laws weren'enacted, just revised. After all surely "The Immutable Revelations of Talar" made before the fall of the Kingdom of Logic and passed on by word of mouth ever since are wiser than any law that could be made today. Truly has it been said that we are dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants! - -----------
Andrew Behan

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #312