Last Post (for a bit)

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 12 Jan 96 03:10:44 EST

I'm off Down Under tonight, and won't be reading or posting regularly for a while, unless I can prevail on uncle MOB for the wherewithal. Meanwhile, to tie up a few loose ends:

Erik asks:

> What about the "freed slaves of the emperor dominating politics
> phenomena which angers old fogies" of emperors like Claudius and
> Nero? Is there any similar thing in LE?

I was alluding to something similar when I mentioned how the Dara Happan old fogies look down from their impotence in the Senate on Johnny-come-lately Bureaucracy types who now hold Real Power and can get things done in the Empire.

The Lunar Way is the way of Upward Mobility (just look at the Red Goddess Herself for proof of this!). This applies in the bureaucracy as much as in the more 'power-oriented' cults (with their seven-point plans to gain demigod status by HeroQuesting, and the like). However, the Dara Happans' ire would not solely be directed at the freed slaves (though they are, if you like, the icing on the cake), but rather at *everyone* without noble Yelmic ancestry who wields power and plays a part in the politics of the empire.

This is, as you surmise, to avoid a too-obvious real-world parallel. It could conceivably include the Red Emperor's favourite Horse, were he ever to be raised to Satrap of Oraya or some such place. Something similar may have happened under Sheng Seleris...

Nils has sent us:

> A document written by the scholar Tomboro from Mokato

"Fascinating! I must meet this man as my Mission takes me through the East Isles, spreading the Lunar Way and the Word of the Goddess!" writes Octavian Suppositorius, former chief missionary of the Seven Mothers to the erstwhile Kingdom of Sartar, now responsible for bringing the Thousand Isles of Wonder into the Lunar Fold, one at a time... (I'm not quite sure if this is a promotion, a long holiday, or a way of getting rid of me for a not inconsiderable period of time).

Nick