Slaves, Gold and Paradise!

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 18:55:14 +0100

Slaves and Serfs and Presumptuos Upstarts: Thanks from the varied and insightful responses from Brooke, Metcalfe and O'Brien. They'll be useful to me.

Malkioni theology: I liked Mr Baumgartner's idea of Malkioni seeing the world as already past Doomsday; this existence is a "purgatory" preparing for Solace. With my usual luck, this will probably mean that no one else will, and it will be smashed to pieces by the Seven Traditional Archenemies of Joerg soon... ;-)

A thought I want to add to the discussion: I think the views of Solace held by educated Wizards and Lords are quite different from that held by Farmers and Knights. Just as in RW Hindu and Buddhist areas, where laymen may think of the blessed hereafter as a fairly easily understood "Heaven", complete with good food and drink, while Bramins and monks may mumble about "reaching unity with the Brahma", "achieveing a blessed state of non-existence" etc. Furthermore, I think it is notable that the great unawashed isn't hindered from reaching Solace because they have a cruder view of it; since a more enlightened view can only be held by the educated, and especially Farmers are NOT expected to be included in that term, they are heartily excused for this. They will probably get a disdainful but loving pat on the head, though.

Troll Gold: If the Uz are made uncomfortable by gold, why would then the Mostali need to develop Iron? Could they not just exploit that factor? I don't think trolls are made overly uncomfortable by the Sky-metal, though some religious functionaries may be ritually proscribed from using it. In the same way, I think Aldryami don't worry about lead, though they probably see no use for it, and would look at people juggling bolgs as possible troll-friends.

Erik Sieurin