Re: the vision thing

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 13:58:40 -0500

In V2 #321, Sandy P. writes in response to your humble correspondent:

>>I disagree that humans have the same light receptors on Glorantha
>as >on earth. Gloranthan eyes work by sending out light beams (or
>in >case of trolls, darkness beams), as is well known (and the first
>>part was actually supported by GS at the first Lore Auction).
> Pshaw. If that were true, then why can't we see in the
>dark? Vision works by Yelm directly transmitting images of all
>around us into our souls, and since the eyes are windows to the
>soul, they are necessary to the process. When it is dark, or Yelm is
>weak, then we can see less. So there.

If that were true, then we would not be able to use lamps or candles to light the darkness, for truly Yelm is no more present in lowfire than Lodril is present in the sky. Our weak eyes do not project enough light to enable them to penetrate the darkness (which, as is well known, is hostile to all light), and perforce must "ride along" with light from some celestial or terrestrial source.

(And why didn't you pipe up at the Lore Auction if you didn't agree? You were on the panel, too. Don't try to deny it; I have it on tape.)