Re: Empires Without Follow-ups

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 23:31:48 -0800

Peter Metcalfe claimed

>We have a direct continuity with
>some of the Empires of the period.

The Jrusteli were utterly wiped out and nobody even remembers much of what they did (c.f. Gift Carriers). It is true that some of the changes they imposed on Lightbringer cults are still in effect (perhaps pieces of the Issaries cult like Tradetalk), but I'm not sure if this is continuity -- certainly there's no political or social continuity. The EWF was utterly wiped out and nobody even remembers much of what they did (i.e. everybody forgot Draconic). Alakoring dismantled their social structures. What empires are you talking about? (I'm not informed enough on Kralorela but didn't they burn all the old books from about this time?)

In most ways, Glorantha represents a steady decline (ignoring local ups). It started out and everything was wonderful -- nobody died. Then came the Darkness. This finally ended, but gods could no longer walk the earth. But there was cooperation between all the species. Then that ended. Then a couple empires spread their civilization across most of Glorantha. They were wiped out. The Lunars spread a mostly benign civilization, the Orlanthi become almost civilized. We know this ends and literacy is lost for a while! The long-term trend doesn't look good.

Martin Crim mentions the FAQ but doesn't provide its URL: <http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html>. You can of course get to it by starting at my page (below).

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/

    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."     "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams