Sorry, Delville

From: JOSE RAMOS <ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 15:05:04 GMT

        After attacking Delville publicly in the Digest, I must recognize that things have bettered. As a matter of fact they have improved a lot. Martin has made the story emphasis evolve from a man and his magic sword (and assorted sidekicks) to the problems of being a hero in the Lunar Empire. The Pavis he shows is not my Pavis, but that is all personal.

        So please Martin go on writing, using all that Lunar tidbits that are cropping the Digest lately. We need something to compensate the lack of all that people that are going Down Under.

        Changing the track, I wish to agree with Peter Metcalfe in the "Sophistication Debate". Since the Dawn, and despite cyclical variations, Magical Power seems to be diminishing in Glorantha. There is no doubt that past Empires were more powerful magically-spiritually. Third Age people have to use other tools to achieve their ends. And that brings more variety and sophistication in the same circumstances.

        The Second Age Empires were sophisticated, specially compared with the First Age. But the comparation I make, using a RW example is the evolution of the Romans from the Republic to the Empire, and then the Byzantines. I consider Byzantium the more advanced, but it is mostly a question of defining advance. Certainly they did not invent as much as the Republic, but they kept the earlier improvements and built from them. And yes, I consider decadence a sign of sophistication.

        A bientot, and good australian holydays to everybody lucky enough to go.