blinded by the Light

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 17:33:02 +0800

>> Gloranthan eyes work by sending out light beams

> Pshaw. If that were true, then why can't we see in the
>dark? Vision works by Yelm directly transmitting images of all
>around us into our souls, and since the eyes are windows to the
>soul, they are necessary to the process.

        Or, to be a little more pedantic, seeing an image is a manifestation of the divine Light, its pure truth revealing all (to our souls, via the eyes that are its gateways). Yelm is the greatest source of the Divine Light, so he reveals the best, while the humble lowfires are less useful, but still contain a spark of the true Divine Light. Dayzatar (and the planets), unfortunately are far too distant, due to the spiritual corruption of this world that they may not approach.

        A creature so cut off from the Divine Light that even if its eyes function it still cannot see well (such as a troll) is obviously so corrupt in its nature as to beyond salvation. And a being whose soul is so warped by black magics as to see by Thanatari Darklight is so twisted as to be almost unthinkable. They have by choice opened the most sacred parts of their soul (those that normally receive the divine light) to the influence of the darkest evil, making of themselves a blasphemous abomination.

        Of course, not being able to see due to a mere eye injury is merely misfortune - mortal flesh sometimes cannot bear the glory of the heavens. It may even be a sign of holiness - those that have stared at the sun for long hours may have injured their eyes, but they also let the pure light of Yelm bathe their soul. And if eye injuries where a sign of sin, then the pure maiden Erissa would not heal them, but she does heal them gladly (by this blessing we may be healed of the misfortune of losing the sight of the divine light).

        However, if a beings soul is so twisted as to not be able to see the light when its eyes are intact, it is a sign of a soul cut off from grace. For example, they may have been visited by Yelms Furies, who cut off the sinner from the light by tearing out the eyes of the soul.

        Cheers
                David (wearing his solar theologian hat)
Computing Officer    |"Our machines are disturbingly lively,
Arts Faculty UWA     |and we ourselves frighteningly inert."
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |			-Donna Haraway