Heroes of Wisdom, by now I dare look at it again

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 23:27:10 MET

Martin praised Ingo's ideas (and criticised my translation/editing effort) thusly:

> On the whole, this LARP source book on Jonstown is highly useful and
> great value for the money. Probably more useful to GM's out there than
> to players in the LARP, because it is hard to keep the tribes and clans
> straight on a first read-through.

Yes, that's what I decided would be more useful. We told the players in the freeform about the important sections. (Or planned to, at least...) Ingo wanted to release this as a sneak preview to his Jonstown Pack.

The tribes stuff was important only to the Sartarites, or the Lunars who _wanted_ to get involved. Most were busy with more important things, like intrigue or tax impediments. I wonder which of them would have survived Deville without a Resurrection or three...

> That said, there are a couple things this book desperately needs:
> 1) A key to the map of Jonstown. This has to exist already. Can somebody
> please post it to the Digest, preferably in English?

I wish I had it. But I know it exists (in German), at least to the city map preceding this one. Ingo has detail information on numerous citizens and houses of Jonstown (in German...), which he plans to publish along with a couple of RQ scenarios (within the near future: in German... - unless Avalon Hill comes out of its mists and begins publishing again).

The problem with an English version of all of this is copyright. There is Ingo's (and his co-workers') copyright to the scenarios, and the city info. The stuff has been handled almost professionally, and the authors deserve some revenue out of their labour.

Then there is the license of Avalon Hill, which might make it difficult to publish the material. Maybe RQA might be the best way to publish the rest of the Jonstown stuff (in English)?

> 2) An index. The organization leaves something to be desired, and I
> found it hard to go back and review all the information about a given
> clan (frex) after reading the book through just once.

I didn't have the time to produce that, nor the space (I know about the back cover, but that's no place for an index either). Considering that the almost final layout of the English translation got done 4 hours before I left home for the freeform (where I distributed photocopies of the rough print to our non-German participants), the indexing would have been useless, with severe shifts in page numbers in the last minute.

Next time I'll use a DTP and not a text processing software...

That said, I might sit down and produce an index now. Don't hold your breath, though...

European distribution: We haven't printed yet, due to uncertainty about the English demand (we have a fair idea about the rest of the continent). Continental European distributor will be RuneQuest Society, c/o Ingo Tschinke. British distribution is going to be Reaching Moon Megagorp. The announcement when it is available will be made ASAP.

The players will receive their final copies automatically.