less magic

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 07:30:08 -0600

Robert Stoll says:

> .... under the impression that magical
> power seems to be diminishing in Glorantha. I tend to agree, at
> least as far as Genertela is concerned. Genert is dead, after all.
> But what about Pamaltela? I've never been there myself, but I'd
> think that Pamalt would add plenty of power to Glorantha's "down
> under" continent....

I think the lessening of magical power in Glorantha is due to the change in the world at the end of the Second Age. These change(s) affected the way magic works, and helped caus the collapse of the God Learner's realm; suddenly their magic didn't work anymore...

Peter Metcalf asks (concerning the EWF):

> And the Philosophy and Structure are unattainable? Surely Argrath's
> Orlanthi as time went by would have become more sophisticated with
> their handling of Draconic Magics?

        Um, no. The EWF collapsed because the Inhuman King decided that humans were misusing Draconic knowledge. The knowledge was withdrawn,  and most of the leaders slain. Until the IK changes his mind, full Draconic understanding and powers are unavailable. That fact that Argrath has the 'limited' powers that he does, is the measure of his heroic stature. He is in no way a common man.

                Andrew

PS Glorantha-Con IV, January 24th-26th 1997, Ramada Hotel O'Hare (Chicago)

    This message brought to you by Orlanth-Cola, a real Windy City drink!