Re: Heroes of Wisdom

From: Tschinke <tschinke_at_NORDWEST.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:15:57 +0100

Joerg writes about Heroes of Wisdom:
>Yes, that's what I decided would be more useful. We told the players in=20
>the freeform about the important sections. (Or planned to, at least...)=20
>Ingo wanted to release this as a sneak preview to his Jonstown Pack.

I think it will be better to explain what the reasons for me had been to write this booklet on Jonstown. I have started to write on Jonstown years ago. In this time David Hall comes up with the idea of a Sartar pack and I have told him I would be interested into hepling him by describing one or two of the cities of Sartar. He liked this idea and sended everything on his jonstown material he has got from Greg to me (which was not more than a map and some notes from Greg). But it was a help and so I started to write on Jonstown. This was now four or five years ago I think. And it is now a complete Jonstown adventure book with the following content: - - Introduction to Sartar and Jonstown =20 - - short description on Jonstown (useable as a players handout)   (see Jonstown guide)
- - History of Jonstown (only the city - the tribes are seperated)   (see Jonstwon guide)
- - Timetable of the important events=20   (see Jontowns guide)
- - Map of Jonstown
  (see Jonstwon guide)
- - detailed description of every neighborhood of Jonstown.   (this I have not taken into the print because it is 6 pages long) - - gouverment of the city of jonstown and its change after the lunar=  occupation

The whole book has about 200 pages. I have tried to give it to Ken but he said this and that was to typical Greg and not like a real fantasy city. But I have made translation of some chapters of the jonstown guide which I have given around on the Convulsion =B494 (Greg, Sandy, Ken, Nick, Mike Dawson=  and
David Hall). Nobody of them ever said a word about it. So I but it back into my shelf. After playing How the West was One, I got the idea (together with joerg baumgartner) to write a new LARP from ourselfes. But if you want to start a LARP you need a place upon Glorantha you will set down the adventures. Nothing could be better for me then Jonstown. So we made Heroes of Wisdom. =20
Martin sez I have let out some things, but I would say I have brought into the jonstown guide only the important things. After writing Heroes of Wisdom I have taken some chapters of the jonstown adventure book to the jonstown guide booklet. These chapters are not written for such a booklet. That is the reason why you will find so much unimportant things you do not need for the play of Heroes of Wisdom. =20

Martin sez:
>> That said, there are a couple things this book desperately needs:
>> 1) A key to the map of Jonstown. This has to exist already. Can somebody=
=20
>> please post it to the Digest, preferably in English?

Joerg answered:
>I wish I had it. But I know it exists (in German), at least to the city=20
>map preceding this one. Ingo has detail information on numerous citizens=20
>and houses of Jonstown (in German...), which he plans to publish along=20
>with a couple of RQ scenarios (within the near future: in German... -=20
>unless Avalon Hill comes out of its mists and begins publishing again).

I have it. I have the map of jonstown worked over for three times. I think it is good as it is. The descrition of the houses and the places of Jonstown is written in german (see my english, by god!!). Everybody who is able to read german and wants to get it, let me know. I will talk to joerg about translating it into english (Hey, joerg have heard me). =20

>The problem with an English version of all of this is copyright. There=20
>is Ingo's (and his co-workers') copyright to the scenarios, and the city=20
>info. The stuff has been handled almost professionally, and the authors=20
>deserve some revenue out of their labour.

Yes, yes. I like this man.

>Then there is the license of Avalon Hill, which might make it difficult=20
>to publish the material. Maybe RQA might be the best way to publish the=20
>rest of the Jonstown stuff (in English)?

I hope it very much. But as I have said I have given it to a couple of people which never said a word about it. I think it will be better printed in german first (if we will find a new publisher for RQ).

But I am waiting a long to for a word of critism about my work on Jonstown and I hope I can discuss this matter now on the gloranthan digest

Ingo Tschinke (tschinke_at_nordwest.de.)

P.S. And do not forget. I am waiting for a lot of visitors on our VII. RQ-con at castle Stahleck on whitsun 1996. Come and take part in the LARP of Rise of Ralios in real medivial castle atmosphere. We have 150 places.