Re: Invisible God Interventions

From: Loren Miller <Loren.Miller_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:06:11 EST

Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com> writes:
> Jim Chapin asks whether the Invisible God actually works miracles
> like the gods of the theists. Sandy and I pretty much agree that
> the IG never, never intervenes, except perhaps by inspiring a
> prophet.

Methinks you are reading what Sandy wrote differently than some of us. I think the IG *does* offer divine intervention, but that it is much more likely to take the form of filling the supplicant with sudden knowledge in a prophetic experience than to save his or her ass right then and there. Closer to "Loving God, the basmoli approach, and the city is surely lost. Please reveal to us the laws by which we may save ourselves." than "Loving God. The broo just busted down the door and they're going to kill me. Get me outta here!"

> More sophisticated Malkioni would say that Malkion and Hrestol
> arrived at their insights by study and worship of the IG, but that
> the Creator did not actively choose to do anything in their cases
> either.

I disagree. The Brithini might say that, but the Malkioni are religious and believe in Solace, among other rationally suspect concepts.

For example, the saints' miracle powers came from somewhere other than being plundered from the otherworld. IMO the IG revealed to the saints the knowledge they needed to gain their miraculous powers.