Dwarven Sorcery

From: JOSE RAMOS <ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 15:55:41 GMT

        After seeing the solutions proposed by Sandy for compatibilizing (sp?) dwarfs and his sorcery rules, I have a proposal, based in my own heretical ideas on dwarfs.

        As we all know, True Mostali show a clear disdain for Caste limitations and are usually the source of heresy in their communities. Even heresies created by dwarves, like individualism, could be inspirated by True Mostali, to enlighten their disfavored brethren. I am sure that behind the Vegetarians in Slontos is one or more True Mostali.

        So besides having their Caste Vow (equivalent to the High Vow of human sorcerers), following a heresy fulfills a vow for dwarfs. As the only incompatible heresy is Octamonism (that I think is purely a Clay Mostali affair), you can end up with several heresies at the same time.

        Note however that apostates, those who abandon the World Machine, lose all presence, and that is why they turn to other magical disciplines.

        I think also that dwarfs can and usually take other vows concerning arts that can be employed (not using ranged spells a typical one for any but Silver dwarfs). Some of this vows could be enforced as traditional of the caste (like no using weapons) but True Mostali know them as they are, tools to sharpen the mind, to be discarded when useless.

        This way, it is explained how humans, who stole sorcery from dwarfs, must abide by some pointless restrictions, that were not pointless to its dwarven creators.

        Most dwarves have a psychological block that impedes breaking a Vow, but True Mostali and those rare enlightened Diamonddwarfs, can break a Vow losing its presence, but can later take it again or a different one.

        Equally, I consider each Caste to have a special magical effect, similar to the Saints, and with the same costs and limitations. This techniques can and do vary from one dwarven stronghold to the other. Some of this techniques were discovered by exceptional humans on their own, and this is where saints enter the picture.

        Do not forget that sorcery is a dwarven tool, made for dwarfs by dwarfs. Any human use is bound to be limited by the different mindset. Perhaps that is why Brithini, as the more similar to the Clay Mostali in following strictures, are the strongest sorcerers (not to mention aeons of experience).

        However most dwarfs are not magical powerhouses. They will know one or two arts they need, and a few specialized spells. Most of their Presence and Power is tied up in maintaining spells without any visible effect (as those thousands of maintained spells that hold the Red Moon in place).

        Instead of adapting the sorcery system to dwarfs, we should remember that the dwarfs are the origin of sorcery, and if it is as it is, they are responsible. I only tried to address these problem.

        A bientot