The purified Boristi

From: Tschinke <tschinke_at_NORDWEST.de>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:58:52 +0100

Sandy Petersen writes:

>The official Rokari doctrine was always not to
>Tap at all, not even non-sentient beings. At the moment, (assuming
>the ecumenical convention didn't happen yet or happened
>differently).

I know the official statements of the Rokari church. But I think it is one thing to have official rules and laws and what the churchman do in reality. Everbody knows Theoblanc the pious has used the forbidden spell imortality, but the official version was to say he got so old because he was so pious as he was. I think it is the same for the Boristi. That must have official statements which are saying they are not using chaos they haters and hunters of Chaos beings. The reality can show totally other things they do in fact.

>Today, Borists are as likely to be chaotic as not (though more
>are not). They actually breed and raise chaotic creatures to use as
>Tapping fodder.

I think I can agree with you in this point, because I have tried to pointed out that it is a very difficult task to find Chaotic being to tap them. Everybody tries to make live easy, why not the boristi churchman? This is one thing if have tried to make clear. The Boristi say in public (as they were able to do something like this) they destroy chaos because they are the enemies of humanty. But in fact the go the other way round and breed chaos monster (small ones) to tap them. So they fullfill their tasks of destroying chaos.

>Peter Metcalfe suggests that the Priests of Borin create chaos
>monsters as scapegoats for their worshiper's sins. I like this idea
>a whole lot, and I think it's worth using as the centerpiece for a
>Borist cult.

I think this could be true and will take it as the centerpiece for the Boristi church. So, if they breed chaos monster to tap them they can use this creatures also as scapegoats for the sins of their worshipers and of their own sins. Putting bad to evil to purify the good could be a good answer for that what they are doing.

Peter Metcalfe writes:
>But it is believed by everybody that Tapping Chaos is Bad for You.
>So why can't the Boristi believe this? And if you still dislike
>the concept of having to make a chaotic creature, what about the
>alternative of creating a familiar as a Chaos Sink (which I believe
>to be the most common method used)?

The Boristi must have their own explanation that the methods they have a good and for gods sake. They could not say they have evil practises, this would made themselfs in their own view to evil guys. But I think I will accept that the Boristi will breed chaos monster or could have a chaos familiar.

>They are? I thought the Arkati were the people who accepted illumination
>and the Boristi hate Arkat.

They do in fact. The boristi views Arkat as Arkat the Traitor, because he has promised to destroy the devil, but he have never done this in their sight of things IMO. But they got in the beginning of the Gbaji Chaos war some spells and insights from him to destroy chaos. The hold on the illumination but through out Arkat. The illuminiation make it much more easier to somebody to work with chaos as the boristi do.

>My description was for what the Boristi are like now. They may have
>been standard Assasins of Chaos in bygone ages but their perceptions
>on how a Pious Malkioni should behave was gradually been eroded due
>to centuries of repression and way too much exposure to Chaos.

I agree to this. But my problem is how they try to explain this. They have been corrupted by chaos over the bygone ages, but they have to find an explanation why this has happened to them. It could be a good explanation, as you have mentioned, they say everybody is chaotic because they are not shriven of their chaotic taint everybody has.

I think after a this discussion I will try to put all this together in a Church description of the Boristi Church to use it for all the boristi players I will have in my LARP Rise of Ralios.

Thanks for your help.

Ingo Tschinke

Ingo Tschinke

The German RuneQuest-con is dated on the 24 to 27 may 1996 on castle 'Stahleck' near Bacharach (this is near Frankfurt) above the beautiful rhine river valley. It is a real medivial atmosphere. The Free Form Game 'Rise of Ralios' is taking place on castle Kustria. This Free Form is written by David Hall, Kevin Jacklin, Nich Brooke, Ingo Tschinke, Christian von Aster, joerg Baumgartner and David Dunham. We will have 80 - 100 players in the game.
But there is more. Our guest of honour David Hall, Shield push, Trollball, RQ tournements, workshops on much topics etc. You will like it. We will have this year a lot of people from foreign countries and you can be sure, that everybody can speak 'Tradetalk' (engish). We have 150 places and a good accomodation because castle Stahleck is a new renovated youth hostel (one of the best in whole Germany). Everybody who wants to be at the VII. RQ-Con on Castle Stahleck please writes to: Phillipp Kuckuck, Im kleinen Felde 7, D-30982 For more informations about the 'Rise of Ralios' writes to: Ingo Tschinke, Schevemoorer Landstr. 33, D-28325 Bremen; tschinke_at_nordwest.de.

Hope to see you all in Germany

ingo