Alternate Deville

From: martin <102541.3423_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 29 Jan 96 16:57:26 EST

Frank Giles wrote a nice piece:

> but as a user of Glorantha bad guys I must say it's hard to tell
>your Karsht squad apart from the local Thed gang. I've always pictured Jaws
>more like this:

Your right, they do look like a Thed gang. This is for a couple of reasons:

(1). The local human population is small and filled with an abundance of Uroxi and other chaos haters, hence the human Krarshti _must_ be illuminated. Illumination is pretty rare in Prax, even with Lunar imports. (2). The Devils Playground has a Krarsht nest where most of theoccupants are hdeously warped Broo. Plus much of Pavis is undertunnelled by them so Gimgim used local resources. The local Krarshti spend much of their time fighting off large bands of psychopathic axemen so their tactics are more related to a SWAT team than the Jackal.
(3). If Gimgim were to try again, he probably would use outside talent, more in line with what you specified.

>" That's him coming in now, the one in the magenta turban."

Magenta turban?!!!?! Yuk! Actually Deville doesn't wear headgear cos of a geas from Tarnils about no head armour, which he adheres to rigidly.

>Hrothmir and Onslaught shared a revolting sense of humor. Good thing Deville
had them on orders not to make jokes in public!

Onslaughts humour is based on killing people in humorous ways, little else. Hrothmir doesn't have a sense of humour, he has a sense of hunger. Besides they don't get on.

>On point by force of habit, Trask scanned their hallway at the top of the
stairs.
>Their suite was the first door on the right. Three doors led to smaller rooms
>on the left. One of the scullery maids was cleaning the floor outside the
>farthest door. That pig! Trask sneered at the memory of their fellow guest,
>what was his name Cleevis? Beevis?. Probably sickened himself at some
>debauchery last night and puked in the hall again to avoid the smell of vomit
>in his own room! Trask turned to the door and gave the six knocks. Devilled
>paused a pace behind while Lissus unbolted the door. A flicker of movement in
>the air caught his eye, a sharp crack rent the still hallway then: A flash of
>coruscating brilliance and darkness from his right, Howls, thunder, cacophony,
>Overwhelming stench, Vertigo, then, an instant later. Sharp pain in his left
side.

I really liked this piece and think it a good example of how to nobble someone like Deville. I have a couple of questions though:

(1). How do you cloak the _reek_ of raw chaos void in Pavis? Every Uroxi for miles must smell it? I don't believe detection balnk would stop that!

(2). The Sith Leg would by rights have a high POW, or she's carrying a fair few enchanted objects. Without a detection blank on those otems, Deville would notice her POW via his permanently running mystic vision spell. He would be alerted, assuming he even saw her once. How would she cover against that?

Martin Laurie