False Saints and Con relevation

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 21:30:21 +1300

Ian Gorlick:

Spake on the difference between False Gods and Saints:

>At the moment, especially with Sandy's rules for Saint's blessings, I don't
>think you really can tell the two apart. I am sure that this must be a
>matter of great concern for Malkioni purists.

It is. But such questions as to 'Who exactly is a False God' have become obscured with more mundane questions like 'What are the people of X doing wrong?'. For instanse, the Rokari Bishops damn and blast the Ralians for worshipping obvious False Gods such as Ehilm, Worlath and Paslac (A half - -troll a Saint? God forbid!) while blissfully unaware that several of their own saints are of dubious ancestry. Frex, St Froalar might be called upon by the Seshnegi to ward against Snakes and Snakebite yet all Seshnegi lore points to the fact that he's alive and well and living as a snake god in one of Kanthor's Isles. The Seshnegi may also rever the old sky god (Setum, i think he was) as the Guardian of the Pearly Gates of Solace. Similarly Talor is hallowed by the Loskalmi yet it seems from the his Carmanian followers that he was very heterodox. And Waertag (known as 'The Deep One' to his friends) is barely human...

IMO Nobody has a clue about the real difference between False Gods and Saints, if there is one. That's not going to turn Malkionism today into complete pagans in five years time. The important thing is the _mode_ of their religion. The emphasis which Malkionism places upon Sorcery provides a strong counterweight to the Malkioni going completely pagan. Frex, Why develop the cult of St Worlath further so that one can recieve a cruddy Shield Rune Spell when you already have Resist Damage?

Of course if you really want to be sure, you could junk all the Saints like the Brithini and the Vadeli do.

Andrew Bean:

>I did catch Greg's "Stafford speaks" and his insight into
>Illumination and the Red Goddess's link to Nysalor and Yelm was truly
>fascinating.

What was it?