Yelmic Top Ten

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 23:13:58 GMT

Peter M.:
> Five is Truth according to the Yelmists.

Peter, could you clarify if you're quoting or paraphrasing some source here, or making one of your Unchecked Assertions? (Not that I object to either, but it might be handy to know which is which.) Is this tFS type stuff?

Five does, though, sound to me like a "nice" number for DHn purposes; it's a factor of ten, and fits in with the sort of Pythagorean Mystic Numerological Stuff that the 'Happans might well buy into.

> Eleven (beyond perfection) would be an unlucky number

As I recall, The Elevens are some sort of DHn Spetnaz, or so some throw-away line in GRAY seems to imply. Also there are all those Yelmic dates which have implausible numbers of 1-digits, such as 111,111YS. Whether these are wholly Good or Bad connotations isn't quite so clear, however.

Alex.