Lunar debates...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:56:29 +1300

David Dun^H^H^H Cake:

> The first and most outrageous theory is that Argrath, at the end of
>King of Sartar, is deliberately helping the Red Goddess when he tears the
>Red Moon from the sky.

> Nick already believes that there is enough evidence within KOS to
>conclude that the Lunars win. Greg believes that you could conclude that as
>well. A key part of this is the final frantic statement at the end of
>Argraths saga, about how the Moon is still there but now is invisible.

But then how do we fit in the White Orbiter (mentioned in the Zin Letters) and the fact that the Lunars have said the Moon is going to become White?

> Now, assume that Argrath hates the expansionist empire that he has
>fought against most of his life. He hears of its greatest foe, Sheng
>Seleris, and undertakes a heroquest of enormous difficulty in order to bring
>him back.

Of course, Argrath could have saved him and everybody else a lot of trouble, if he actually bothered to do some research on the person he was going to rescue.

> And at first, he thinks it has worked. Sheng goes and chops the
>Red Emperor up, and generally kicks the Lunar army around, etc. But then
>it all goes wrong - Sheng doesn't want to destroy the Lunar Empire. He
>wants to rule it, and create an empire that is probably even worse, from
>Argraths point of view, as it is not tempered with the Lunar tolerance.

Argrath *did* defeat Sheng at the battle of Gardint and had him returned to Hell by the Good Graces of Yara Aranis in 1708. The Empire supposedly reorganized itself into the Monster Empire but the creatures they summoned don't seem very monstrous. It was the Monster Empire who were worshipping the Red Moon when it was torn down by Argrath.

Personally I figure that the 'Monster Empire' really is two seperate dynasties which have been conflated. First is the Empire which is defeated by 'tearing' down the Red Moon in 1725. The next is the Empire of the Devil which is defeated in 1733 (Argrath's Apotheosis which is also coincidentally at the End of the Nineth Wane) and is described in the fragment of 'Argrath and the Devil'.

Apropos of Argrath's cupability, I think he doesn't know what he's doing.