Moon Madness

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 14:26:53 +0800

[Argrath LBWs for Sheng, Sheng turns bad]
>Uhm, this sounds familiar? Wasn't it so that Harmast Barefoot
>resurrected Arkat, got uncomfortable when Arkat got trollish, and
>then resurrected Talor (?) to fix things?
>What I mean is, is this another example of myth/history repeating
>itself in Glorantha?

        I hadn't thought of that. What perfect sense it makes. Must be true.

>> Nick already believes that there is enough evidence within KOS to
>>conclude that the Lunars win. Greg believes that you could conclude that as
>>well. A key part of this is the final frantic statement at the end of
>>Argraths saga, about how the Moon is still there but now is invisible.
>
>But then how do we fit in the White Orbiter (mentioned in the Zin Letters)
>and the fact that the Lunars have said the Moon is going to become White?

        Nowhere did I say that it worked as intended :-), after all there was at least one serious magical cataclysm at the end of the third age (the loss of reading), so it is not safe to assume that it all went well. Especially with Argrath messing with mysterious and unreliable powers like draconic ones.

        There are numerous good Lunar versions of the situation after the Red Moon, though. Perhaps most people simply do not have sufficient purity of vision. Or do not know where to look (perhaps the Moon has risen beyond the Sky?). Perhaps she is now complete enough to regain the Blue Moon powers of secrecy and invisibility. Or even better, as the Goddess now has as her personal domain not simply a chunk of rock floating above Peloria, but the entire universe, of course you can't see it, as you are inside. I'm sure they can talk their way out of a minor glitch like the Moon not being visible.

[Sheng the bastard]
>Of course, Argrath could have saved him and everybody else a lot of trouble,
>if he actually bothered to do some research on the person he was going to
>rescue.

        Well, umm, yes. Not the brightest act in retrospect. But then again, things were very very grim when the quest was performed. Little point in bringing back Air powers to be defeated again. Is there anyone else who has managed to trash the Lunar Empire so sucessfully? [interesting theories about real chronology after Argrath defeats Sheng using Yara Aranis deleted]

        Yes, of course, my version gives Sheng too central a role if, as according to Argrathsaga, he had already been defeated well before the removal of the Red Moon. But then again, the tail end of that is incredibly unreliable. But Peters comments are just as plausible.

>Apropos of Argrath's cupability, I think he doesn't know what he's
>doing.

        I think he has some idea. But not as much as he thinks he does.
        Similar to the Seven Mothers, who thought they knew what they were
doing, but got a real surprise.

        David (now, who's for a game of Pendragon Pass?)