Arkat the Devil

From: Tschinke <tschinke_at_nord.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:15:23 +0100

Sandy writes:

>BORISTS
> Peter M. and I have had a brief off-line discussion about
>these fellows, and here is some of the stuff we've wholeheartedly
>agreed upon.
>
>1) The Borists are a secretive Cathar-like sect. Instead of a
>complete caste system, they have only worshipers and priests, and
>most pretend to be members of the Galvosti or Rokari sects in the
>"real world".

I think the believe in castes, but they can not live in such a borist society where they will find real boristi castes (only in Borin they are able to live in such a structure IMO). They accept the law of Malkion concerning the castes. So it is no problem for a borist priest living in Tiskos to accept the Rokari faith in this case. But I would like to disagree the Boristi will only have worshipers and priests. I think there must be something more. In my description of the Borist church they have founded a knightly order in the time of the Gbaji wars. This order only existing mostly in remains now. IMO there are not more than 100 knights in the west which are believe they are fighters against the devil (Gbaji or Arkat). For them this will have some advantages, because they know they will be forgiven all sins because they got shriven by their priest. If you will think further you can imagine knights which are free to kill everybody without any thought on sins. They know everybody who is not of the boristi faith will have the chaotic taint on them which must be destroyed. If you know you can do everything you want and you will be forgiven, this will destroy you thoughts on morale totally over the years.
Furthermore I think the Boristi will have only some people which will live as Rokari and Galvosti in the "real world". Most peasant will not have more than one faith they believe in. So you will find this peasants which are believe in Boristi faith and live in fear of the devil only in some regions near Borin (Sentanos or Naskorion) or in Borin itself. The church can not exist is they will have only this inner circle (secret register of Borin). They must have simple worshipers which can be shriven. So the boristi could not live only in their catacombs playing with chaos beasts. They must defend 'their' peasants and convert new to have a stock of worshipers. IMO they are sending out missionaries which are going through the countryside on the borders of some country as for example Sentanos to tell the people there they have to fear the devil and can only escape if the will converting into the boristi faith (then doing the gag with the gorp as Peter Metcalfe has mentioned). Outside of the regions only people of the nobility will be able to afford two faiths. They will have their own priest who will shrive them and can forgive them all their sins. So you can do a lot of bad things as a lord you could not do as Rokari or Galvosti. You will always aquiting of guilt. The boristi are so corrupted and eroded by their work with chaos they will do this job.

>2) The Borist view of Arkat is as follows (In Our Esteemed
>Opinion): When Arkat went to Dorastor, he successfully killed
>Nysalor and saved the world, but he was killed in the process. Gbaji
>the Deceiver, (whom other faiths falsely know as Arkat) then came
>out of Dorastor and set up the Dark Empire. Arkat's true
>illumination was lost, and only Gbaji's vile contamination was left.

I agree wholeheartly to this. If you see thinks like this you will understand why the boristi will mobilize their whole power because the prophecies say the devil (Arkat) will return in time. After 1.000 years of waiting the moment is near when the Boristi will have to fullfill their holy task of killing the devil (Arkat) and everybody who believe into this demon. Imagine all the boristi going around on Rise of Ralios which try to tap Foyalfine, Surantyr and the prelate of Col as well as the Duke of Naskorion because they all believe in Arkat the liberator. There is a lot of work to do and we will do it, hail borist!

> Basically, the Borists believe the Arkati doctrine that
>there is both a dark and a light side to Illumination. But, they
>differ about which is which.

I think this is true. They got the secret of illumination from Arkat and there must be a lot of discussion about the light and the dark side of illumination. The boristi will see that over the centuries some of their priests (with the light illumination on them) where fallen to the dark side and backwards.

Ingo Tschinke

The German RuneQuest-con is dated on the 24 to 27 may 1996 on castle 'Stahleck' near Bacharach (this is near Frankfurt) above the beautiful rhine river valley. It is a real medivial atmosphere. The Free Form Game 'Rise of Ralios' is taking place on castle Kustria. This Free Form is written by David Hall, Kevin Jacklin, Nich Brooke, Ingo Tschinke, Christian von Aster, Joerg Baumgartner and David Dunham. We will have 80 - 100 players in the game.
But there is more. Our guest of honour David Hall, Shield push, Trollball, RQ tournements, workshops on much topics etc. You will like it. We will have this year a lot of people from foreign countries and you can be sure, that everybody can speak 'Tradetalk' (engish). We have 150 places and a good accomodation because castle Stahleck is a new renovated youth hostel (one of the best in whole Germany). Everybody who wants to be at the VII. RQ-Con on Castle Stahleck please writes to: Phillipp Kuckuck, Im kleinen Felde 7, D-30982 For more informations about the 'Rise of Ralios' writes to: Ingo Tschinke, Schevemoorer Landstr. 33, D-28325 Bremen; tschinke_at_nordwest.de.