Re: the Saint Problem

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 17:52:58 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #348, the other I.G. writes:

>The most conservative factions of the Malkioni would, IMO, reject the
>veneration
>of saints outright. I'll need some help from other Gloranthan scholars to
>identify which sects this might be, or perhaps this extreme viewpoint is
>already
>extinct having been unable to compete with more accessible and more
magically
>blessed factions.

This attitude (and the less hard-line and moderate viewpoints Ian also discusses) are not, IMHO, the hallmarks of distinct _sects_, but rather of distinct factions or movements within sects. Some day in the future, if Malkionism is still recognizable after the end of the 3d Age, these movements may develop into sects. As the history piece I posted relates (did you not get this, Ian? not read it? not like it very much?), an early Rokari Ecclesiarch managed to ban a few saints and purge the rites of some others.  The other variable in the equation--this is Malkionism, after all, not Xianity--is the caste system. Some people believe that you should purge the upper classes of dependence on saints, but that it's OK and really not too noteworthy for peasants to worship saints. After all, they're further from Solace and need all the help they can get. At worst, veneration of saints is, for peasants, like prostitution or gambling, a small vice.

>Saint Hrestol would offer the blessing of Martyrdom. If invoked this
>blessing allows the recipient to endure any pain, torture, terror, or other
>stress without straying from the true faith in the IG. Usually invoked by
>those facing martyrdom for their beliefs. Saint Hrestol bolsters their faith
>so that they can achieve Solace.

This is very similar to Saint Avlor's blessing, which I sent to Sandy when he requested other saints. How's that project going, Sandy? Is it for posting to the daily or being saved for some more exalted forum?